The recipe I’m sharing today was a very spontaneous afternoon creation. The weather was so beautiful today that I completely lost track of time and didn’t make it to the grocery store before it shut. Luckily I had a few things in the fridge that I could use, so I made this really delicious veggie sandwich with a side of kale salad.
The sound of a veggie sandwich may not excite everyone, but let me tell you, that it’s so much better and flavorful than it sounds. Normal sandwiches can often be quite dry and lacking in flavor – this sandwich is a combination of some of my absolute favorites. The recipe below is only a suggestion of what you could use to fill the sandwich, if you have other ingredients that need to be used up, then play around with the ingredients and create your own version.
- 4 slices bread
- 5 chestnut mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lime
- 3-4 small beetroots
- 2 small carrots, peeled and grated
- bruschetta or approx. 5 sun-dried tomatoes
- massaged kale salad
- Prepare the massaged kale salad.
- Toast the bread slices (optional!)
- Heat up a pan and let the sliced mushrooms cook until softened.
- In the meantime, grate the carrots and mash the avocado. Add the juice of 1/2 lime to the avocado and mix until combined.
- Thinly slice the beetroot.
- To assemble, spread a generous layer of the avocado onto the bottom slice of bread, then add the sliced beetroot, grated carrot and cooked mushrooms. Before assembling, either add 2-3 sun-dried tomatoes or spread some bruschetta onto the other slice of bread. Assemble and serve with kale salad.