Dessert, Recipes, Treats

Mousse au Chocolat {my mom’s famous chocolate mousse}

February 10, 2014
Chocolate-Mousse3.jpg

Mousse au Chocolat {healthinspirations.net}

I’ve wanted to share the recipe for my mom’s famous Mousse au Chocolate for months now and with Valentine’s Day right around the corner I figured now would be the perfect time!

Mousse au Chocolat {healthinspirations.net}

My mom will and can cook just about anything you ask for. But she’s famous for her Mousse au Chocolat. Whether it be for a party, a small gathering or a casual dinner, the one thing that people continuously request to be on the menu is her chocolate mousse.

I don’t blame them. Just look at it. Who would say no to this?

Mousse au Chocolat {healthinspirations.net}

Mousse au Chocolat {healthinspirations.net}

Over the course of my life I’ve eaten a lot of chocolate mousse. Most of it was home-made, some of it in restaurants and some {I dare to admit} store-bought. What I’ve discovered is that it’s not that common to get chocolate mousse that actually exhibits the characteristic airy and light texture that it’s meant to have. Many are too silky others are too dense. Finding the perfect recipe that makes that one-of-a kind, luscious mousse, can be really hard but this recipe just happens to tick all the boxes. Rich, but not sickening {unless if  like me, you eat it by the bowl full}, light and airy with an intense chocolaty flavor which isn’t overpowering.

Mousse au Chocolat {healthinspirations.net}

I think it all comes down to three things: the chocolate you use, the folding technique and the amount of love you pour into the preparation. Contrary to many people’s beliefs, making mousse au chocolate really isn’t hard, but you could easily ruin it by not carefully folding in the chocolate into the whipped cream. Use a chocolate that you would like to eat in its plain form. The higher the cocoa content, the more exquisite the taste. Prepare it with a bit of love, let it rest for 6-24 hours and I guarantee, this will be one of the best desserts you’ll ever get your hands on.

Mousse au Chocolat

You can play around with the amounts of chocolate you want to use. I recommend using 1 bar {which is equivalent to 100g or just over 3.5 ounces} but depending on how rich you want it to be you can modify it slightly. The recipe yields enough for a big bowl which should generously feed 5-6 people for dessert.

Ingredients:

• 200g caster sugar
  • 125mlwater
  • 1 bar {~100g} dark {semisweet} chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 125ml whipping cream

Instructions:

1. In a small sauce pan combine the caster sugar and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves completely. Add the chopped chocolate, remove from heat. Stir occasionally until the chocolate melts. Then stir in the egg yolks. Let the mixture cool completely. You can occasionally stir the mixture to prevent it from clumping.
  2. Using a hand mixer, whip the whipped cream until soft peaks form.
  3. Carefully pour the cooled chocolate mixture onto the whipped cream and fold in gently.
  4. Either pour the mousse into a large serving bowl or into smaller serving cups. I used espresso cups.
  5. Cover and chill for at least 6 hours. 12-24 hours is better. Before serving, garnish with chocolate shavings and fruit.

• Reply Katie (The Muffin Myth) February 10, 2014 at 3:36 pm

This looks delish, Antonia! Do you think the heat from the melted chocolate is substantial enough to cook the egg yolks? I’m super squeamish about raw eggs and usually avoid desserts with them.

• Reply Antonia February 10, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Hi Katie. I was going to write about the egg issue in the “note” section, but then I forgot. The way that we do it is to add the egg and then remove it from the heat to stir it in. Then we let it cool. The chocolate mixture does get quite hot, so the egg won’t be entirely raw. However, you could just as well leave the mixture on medium heat, while stirring the egg in. That way it will probably cook the egg yolks. It will probably just thicken the mixture a bit more. Hope this makes sense! x

• Reply Camille February 10, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I like hiding raspberry gelée in the centre, just a tea spoon. And then add fresh raspberries on top 😀

• Reply Antonia February 10, 2014 at 6:52 pm

GREAT idea! Just out of curiosity, how far off from an authentic mousse au chocolat recipe is my recipe? 😉 xx

• Reply Camille February 11, 2014 at 8:02 pm

When I make chocolate mousse I only use egg whites and dark chocolate, nothing else 😉 Generally 6 egg whites and 200g of Nestlé Dark cooking chocolate. Delicious! I wonder how come yours is not more liquid with the yawls and water… Will definitely try it this weekend, when I have my romantic dinner with myself! xx

• Reply Antonia February 11, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Nestlé chocolate!!!??? What’s wrong with Cadbury? 😉 At home we use Manner cooking chocolate (it’s Austrian!). I’ll give you’re recipe a go on Friday (using Green & Black’s cooking chocolate…for obvious reasons 😉 ) and I’ll report back xx

• Reply Kathryn February 12, 2014 at 8:53 am

This looks like the proper chocolate mousse of my dreams. So rich and creamy yet light at the same time. Perfect!

• Reply Caitlin February 12, 2014 at 5:26 pm

I’ve always wanted to try making chocolate mousse but have been too nervous to try but this looks too perfect not to make! I would love to make this with a side of strawberries!

• Reply Antonia February 12, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Trust me, it’s really not hard at all. It will literally take 1o minutes of active preparation time and then it just has to cool for a few hours! So worth making!!

• Reply Jenn February 13, 2014 at 12:42 pm

I am just creating this – waiting to combine the 2 – but the chocolate mixture looks gross, like it has scrambled egg bits in, I immediately took off the heat after adding the egg as the mixture was hot enough, I only kept it on a medium/low heat!
    I’m tempted to put it thru a sieve before adding to the cream!

• Reply Antonia February 13, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Hi Jenn. That is so strange, that’s never happened to me before. I don’t understand how that egg got clumpy, especially if you removed the mixture from the heat immediately. Did you wait for the chocolate to fully melt before adding the yolks? I would try putting it through a sieve because the egg clumps won’t be doing the mousse any good, but can’t guarantee that it will work. Sorry about that!

• Reply Jenn February 13, 2014 at 7:41 pm

Thanks hun,
    Yeah the chocolate was fully melted and I ended up using a sieve but then when I put into bowls the top set like mouse but the bottom was all liquid! Gutted as the pictures of urs looked delicious, mine didn’t.
    I do think the chocolate should maybe cool considerably before adding the egg…heyho will try again x

• Reply Antonia February 13, 2014 at 8:43 pm

So sorry the recipe didn’t work for you! I’ve made this mousse a million times so I don’t understand what went wrong. Hope it turns out as actual mousse the next time. x

• Reply Jenn February 14, 2014 at 11:18 am

No worries, maybe come an make for me! Hehe
    Will let u know how I get on next time – thanks for responding x

• Reply Emily @ the pig & quill February 20, 2014 at 4:13 am