WIAW: why do restaurants have really bad lighting…?

March 13, 2013

Hello and welcome to another round of WIAW! I actually had really delicious food over the weekend so I just had to post a round-up of all the yumminess! Plus, I was too lazy to tell Christina about all the food I had  I feel like it’s easier to show pictures of the food rather than explaining what I ate. Not that I don’t like talking about food, cause I sort of really do!

Being the great daughter that I am I went home last weekend to visit my parents. My brother spends his days at school and his nights and weekends studying for upcoming exams so I think my mom wanted some company and she really misses my when I’m not around. We skype every other day, if not every day. Sometimes the call will only be 3 minutes but it’s good to hear my mom’s voice and tell her about my eventful life.

Anywho….I went home and this is what I ate on Saturday. Not so surprisingly I had oatmeal for breakfast. My mom bought a wonderful selection of nut butters for me in addition to the walnut and cashew butter I made. Almond butter will always be my favorite though! I also craved a large cup of coffee so I made myself a latte.

WIAW {13.03.13}

Topped with frozen berries, as per usual.

WIAW {13.03.13}

We all spent our mornings doing our own things. I went for my “long” run. My plan would have had me run 12K but it was raining and our neighborhood is extremely hilly so I ran 7.5K which actually felt like 21K. Let’s just say it was a good compromise.

We all met back at home for lunch. My mom made her delicious Indonesian vegetable soup with tofu and a great selection of veggies.

WIAW {13.03.13}

After lunch I had another coffee and a small dessert! Then my mom and I spent the afternoon running some errands and spending some quality mother-daughter time.

WIAW {13.03.13}

In the late afternoon we drove to Mondsee {which is a town close to Salzburg} where we had dinner with my grandparents to celebrate my grandmothers birthday.

Pictures below are all taken with my phone. Sorry!

A drink {Aperol Spritz} to toast. Then the fun began.

WIAW {13.03.13}

We started with a bread basket and a variation of flavored butter {saffron, parsley and tomato} and salts.

WIAW {13.03.13}

The amuse-bouche: celery soup {which was exceptionally good}, and tiny piece of beef and a prawn with pineapple chutney.

WIAW {13.03.13}

The menu was quite expansive on certain items like mains but didn’t have that many starter options. We had to ask the waiter to explain the system of ordering twice because we didn’t fully grasp the concept the first time around.You had the option of a 4, 5 or 6 six course menu but you could mix and match and order whatever you wanted. So basically I could have ordered 6 desserts or 4 mains. Interesting concept, but I stuck to soup, an entrée and dessert.

The parsnip soup with spinach Knödel {yes, us Austrians really do make Knödel out of everything!!!}

WIAW {13.03.13}

For my entrée I chose the parmesan-filled tortellini. The filling was a thick parmesan cream and the pasta was nice and doughy, just the way I liked it. My grandfather had the same. The others had really tasty looking dishes too.

WIAW {13.03.13}

My mom and my grandmother both had fish which was served on a lentil bed with a side of beautifully arranged vegetables.

WIAW {13.03.13}

And my brother had an artistically presented plate of beef served with vegetables and potato towers.

WIAW {13.03.13}

I didn’t take pictures of my dad’s plate because it was too far away and my grandfather got kind of annoyed with me taking pictures. He’s obviously not used to going out for dinner with a food blogger.

Dessert was incredible. On the menu this was described as tiramisu with banana and passion fruit but it was served in little chocolate molds. This was really good. I didn’t know how well banana and passion fruit went together.

WIAW {13.03.13}

And this tree of truffles came when we requested the bill. They are all home-made. I had 2 of the coconut  and 1 chocolate truffle.

WIAW {13.03.13}

I left the restaurant with a very happy belly Smile

As always a huge thank you to Jenn from Peas and Crayons for hosting the foodie party!

Happy WIAW!

• Reply Ksenija @ Health Ninja March 13, 2013 at 10:37 am

Right, right? Thats what I always think when I go out for food. It is beautifully arranged and looks mouthwatering delicious, but theres just no good foto to make due to the bad lighting!

I would still take the tortellini and your brothers beef dish – everything looks so delicious. Going out for a fancy meal from time to time is just sugar for the soul 😉

• Reply Antonia March 13, 2013 at 6:19 pm

“Sugar for the soul”…I’ve got to remember that expression! That’s really what it is 😉

• Reply Eating 4 Balance March 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Great question. I think it’s because everything looks better in the dark 🙂 Haha.

First, I love that picture of your Indonesian vegetable soup. Looks so good.

And second, is that how truffles normally come? Such a fancy little stand!!

• Reply Antonia March 13, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I’ve never had truffles that came on such a fancy stand, don’t they usually just come in a box or on a plate? I think the presentation made them taste so much better though!

• Reply kim@hungryhealthygirl March 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Delicious day of eats!! You’re right…it is so hard to get good photos in a restaurant!

• Reply Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome March 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Wow! What beautiful pictures and amazing presentation for food at the restaurant! Way to go on 7.5 miles in the rain! I hate running in the cold or rain and head to the gym if it’s colder than 60! I’m such a baby!

• Reply Antonia March 13, 2013 at 6:17 pm

7.5 miles would have been nice but unfortunately it was only 7.5km 🙁

• Reply Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Your pictures always look great even in restaurant lighting. That looks like one heck of a dinner and I love the colors on your mom’s Indonesian soup. Yum.

• Reply Olivia @ Liv Lives Life March 13, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Love all of the colors in the food! And restaurant lighting makes food blogging such a pain! 😉

• Reply Katie @ Live Half Full March 13, 2013 at 9:09 pm

What a great meal! And cool ending with the truffle tree- I’ve never seen that before!

• Reply Nicole @ FruitNFitness March 13, 2013 at 9:39 pm

The dinner looks amazing, so fancy! The pictures still make me hungry regardless of the restaurant lighting.

• Reply Bella March 14, 2013 at 12:27 am

Holy COW, that looked like a fancy restaurant. That bread basket looked incredible, and your moms dinner looked like my favorite, YUMMY!!

Your breakfast looked super colorful, and that soup incredible!!

So glad I stopped by! Have a great day girl 🙂
    P.s. After coming back from an extended blogging break, I’ve started a 40 day challenge to get HEALTHY by my birthday. If you get a chance to check it out, I could sure use the support!
    Hugs, Bella 🙂
    Bella’s 40 Day Challenge

• Reply Bec March 14, 2013 at 3:15 am

Restaurants do have the worst lighting. But they have the best presentation of food. Wow – everything looks so delicious! Love the truffles with the bill. And everyone’s meal looks absolutely amazing – especially the Parmesan tortellini. YUM. I also speak to my Mum most days, even if it’s just via text, haha.

• Reply Rebekka March 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Wow…all of that looks so wonderful, but that breakfast especially looks like the breakfast of my dreams 🙂

• Reply Jennifer March 15, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Love your oatmeal and latte. My favorite way to start the day. What a beautiful birthday dinner for your grandmother. 🙂