WIAW: baking, party and more baking…

November 28, 2012

Good morning! I hope to see lots of Thanksgiving eats today. I was a bit lonely in the blogosphere over the weekend but I’m glad that everyone’s back to blogging after what seemed like a great weekend for most of you. I spent the weekend in Munich doing a little bit of shopping, baking, cooking, celebrating my flat mate’s birthday, going to a piano concert and more baking. All in all it was a good one! I didn’t take pictures of everything I ate but I’ll talk you through the eats that I didn’t forget to photograph.

As always, before I begin, thank you Jenn from Peas and Crayons for hosting the foodie party!

My Saturday morning began with an un-pictured banana with almond butter before I left for a quick run to the Olympic Park. Saying that I was overdressed would be the understatement of the year. It must have been the warmest day of the month with beautiful blue skies and sunshine. I was wearing long running tights, a long sleeved shirt and a thick jacket and had even brought me warm hat and gloves with me.

Upon my return I quickly showered and got ready before having my second breakfast, a baked pumpkin oatmeal tart with tea on the side.

DSC_1018

I then did some blog-related work for a bit before heading out to do some shopping. I got a coffee on the way.

IMG_1067

When I returned home I had a late lunch. I made wraps filled with anything I could find in the fridge: avocado, tomatoes, carrots, quark and cheese.

DSC_0001

Before my friends’ party that night I had a cheese sandwich (unpictured) which was basically just a repetition of the lunch wrap. I also snacked on many, many clementine throughout the day.

DSC_0005-2

During the party we served lots of typical party food but my flat mate made these wonderful egg custard tarts which I just had to share with you all. The other food we had on display really wasn’t worth taking pictures of.

DSC_0024-2

On Sunday morning I got up early and had a quick breakfast before heading to a matinee concert. I went to see my favorite piano player, Rudolf Buchbinder. For breakfast I had oatmeal topped with kiwi, oranges, and pomegranate.

DSC_0040

DSC_0041-2

The concert was incredible and I think I’ll go back for another one in February. I myself have been playing the piano for 10 years now {although I don’t play often these day} and it still baffles me that you can give a 2 hour concert, know all the pieces off by heart and have your eyes closed the entire time…incredible! I could listen to piano music all day long {although this time of year Christmas songs are more dominant on my playlists}.

Since it was another beautiful day, after quick lunch (bread and cheese again) I went out for a run, this time in more weather-appropriate attire.

DSC_0045

I was wearing capris and a thin long-sleeved shirt which I rolled up…in November!!!

IMG_1071

After my run I got ready for an afternoon baking party with my friends. We made Linzer Torte and these beautiful Gingerbread Cupcakes with a Meringue Frosting {please ignore the messy kitchen!!}.

DSC_0049

IMG_1078

Since we only used the egg whites for the frosting I was left with a few egg yolks which I used to make a veggie-filled omelet for dinner. For dessert I had half a cupcake!

And so another weekend flew by…

Happy WIAW!!!

• Reply Jennifer November 28, 2012 at 6:29 am

Happy WIAW! Your Gingerbread Cupcakes are beautiful. I have never had oatmeal with kiwi and oranges, sound great. 🙂

• Reply Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets November 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I loved you saved and ate the egg yolk later. It seems like so many people only eat the whites, and I don’t understand that.
    There was so much to gawk at in this post; your pictures are always amazing even of something as simple as oatmeal or a wrap. I make veggie wraps for the Hubby, and my pictures never look this good. The tart and the cupcakes are to die for, and I’d steal that hunk of cheese in a heartbeat. Happy WIAW.
    Oh one more thing: they have completely 100% instrumental Christmas carols CD’s, and some are all done on the piano. It’s one of my favorites. I would love to hear you play.

• Reply Antonia November 29, 2012 at 1:53 pm

So true, I sort of understand why people only eat egg whites because they think that it’s packed with protein but really, it’s the yolk were the nutritional value is hidden, even protein.
      I think I would love those instrumental Christmas carols 🙂

• Reply Kathryn November 28, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Sounds like a perfect weekend!

• Reply Amanda@Maepress November 28, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Wow, that torte looks amazing! I will have to try the pumpkin oats too, that sounds lovely. and all the little pomegranate seeds sprinkled throughout the post are so cheerful!

• Reply Antonia November 29, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I know, they make food look christmassy 🙂

• Reply Miss Polkadot November 28, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Beautiful pictures of delicious sounding food! I’m impressed you baked Linzer Torte – is the lattice crust hard to do?

Oooh, are those Pasteis de nata your flat mate prepared for the party? I actually baked these, too, when I was at my parents’ for the weekend.

• Reply Antonia November 29, 2012 at 1:47 pm

thanks! the lattice isn’t hard to do at all. I spread about 2/3 of the whole batter onto the baking sheet and save 1/3 fo the lattice. I simply fill it into a piping bag and pipe it onto the preserve.

• Reply Jessie November 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Have you shared the gingerbread cupcake recipe with us before? they sound amazing.

• Reply Antonia November 29, 2012 at 1:42 pm

no, not yet. but I can if you’re interested. they’re very good, and very gingerbready!!!

• Reply Lot-O-Choc November 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm

beautiful photographs and delicious looking food yum!

• Reply Shannon (Healthiful Balance) November 29, 2012 at 8:05 pm

First, I love your new blog header. Second, you food looks to die for. Third, we should have a baking party together. 🙂