WIAW: It’s beginning to smell a lot like Christmas…

November 21, 2012

The title of this post was totally inspired by one of my favorite songs which I have admittedly been listening to it a little too often these past couple of days. But it felt appropriate to listen to holiday tunes as I spent most of the weekend baking Christmas cookies.

IMG_1062

Most of the cookies are currently on their way to London since Christina requested we bake her some. Being the good sister that I am I obliged and ended up making four different kinds overall. Of course in between all the baking I made sure to make time to eat some nutritious food too so below I’ll show you what I ate over the weekend.

Be sure to head over to Jenn’s blog, Peas and Crayons to check out everyone else’s eats!!

My Saturday morning began with a bowl of oats, frozen raspberries mixed in at the end. I don’t know what it is but the texture of the oatmeal I make at home is always watery and not nearly as creamy as if I make it in Munich. I use the exact some recipe, but it always ends up as a big slop of watery oats. This time even more so because my mom ran out of chia seeds!

DSC_0735

Strawberry black tea on the side.

DSC_0736

I spent the morning baking the first 2 batches of cookies. Most Christmas cookies are based on short crust meaning there’s lots of time waiting for the dough too cool. Since I had time, I offered to make lunch for the family. Although, apart from my mom and myself no one really likes lentils I made lentil soup filled with veggies and a bit of bacon so that the men would it too. I  thought it was delicious.

DSC_0798

For dessert I had to try some of my cookies.

DSC_0930

These Vanilla crescents are currently on the way to London. The recipe can be found here.

DSC_0946

For dinner I had leftover lentil soup with bread.

On Sunday morning I made Bircher Muesli for my family. I think this is my absolute favorite breakfast to have and no matter how big the bowl of muesli is, we always manage to polish it off. I had 2 portions Smile

DSC_0894

For lunch my mom made Schnitzel! This alone was worth coming home for…

DSC_0973

For anyone who is unfamiliar with Schnitzel, it is probably the most famous Austrian dish. Usually it is pork {we used turkey} meat which is covered with bread crumbs and fried in clarified butter. Delicious, delicious, delicious…

On the side I had 2 bowls of salad…

DSC_0972

…along with cucumber salad and oven-roasted potatoes.

DSC_0974

For dinner I had yoghurt with oats which went down un-pictured as it was already quite late.

And just because I’m really curious, please tell me what you are eating for Thanksgiving and what your plans are!

Happy WIAW and Happy early Thanksgiving to anyone celebrating!

• Reply Jennifer November 21, 2012 at 6:34 am

Happy WIAW! I like your music selection. Your Christmas cookies are beautiful! 🙂

• Reply Antonia November 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

• Reply Emily @ Life on Food November 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I got that CD last year and it is my new favorite…or tied with Mariah Carey classics. I know it is not Thanksgiving just yet but I am very excited about Christmas already!

• Reply Antonia November 21, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Oh yes, the Mariah Carey CD is great as well…I tend to listen to the songs on repeat for hours and hours. Her voice is just incredible.

• Reply Bec November 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Happy WIAW! I am a huge fan of schnitzel! One of my favourite ever dishes. Also love the look of that bircher muesli – you just can’t go wrong with it! 🙂

• Reply Antonia November 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

So cool that we like the same food 🙂 But I have yet to meet someone who doesn’t like Schnitzel!!

• Reply Christina November 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Ooh your posts do always make me peckish! So sweet to send cookies to your sister x

• Reply Antonia November 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm

🙂 She is the best sister you could ask for so baking cookies for her is the least I could do!! xx

• Reply Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets November 21, 2012 at 12:35 pm

My husband loves schnitzel; it’s one of his favorites! Your cookies look soooo good; Christina is one lucky girl to have a sister as fabulous as you. I’m sure she’s great too though.
    I’m going to the in-laws for Thanksgiving, and I’ve committed to bringing acorn stuffed squash and an apple pie, and I might throw in one more pie or I might not, depending on time and my level of sanity. Happy WIAW to you!

• Reply Antonia November 21, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I know I am a little bit biased but I couldn’t ask for a better sister 🙂
      That sounds like you’ll be busy cooking and baking. I wish we celebrated Thanksgiving, just for the food 😉 I am sure everything will taste wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving and Happy WIAW!

• Reply Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count November 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Everything looks delicious!!

• Reply Carli November 21, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I still need to try chia seeds. I always think of chia pets and it just kind of creeps me out.

I’m going to have to look up a Schnitzel recipe. It sounds pretty easy to make and delish. Not sure why we all don’t eat it!

Turkey, cornbread stuffing, non-dairy green bean casserole, some odds and ends. We don’t have a very big bunch.

• Reply Sara @ Magia e Pasta November 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Oh man, I have such unbridled love for lentil soup and yours looks delicious!

• Reply Eating 4 Balance November 21, 2012 at 3:44 pm

That muesli looks so creamy and delicious. I love hot porridge and cereal for breakfast!

Well, my Thanksgiving meal is going to be pretty boring. Probably just a big salad with some chicken, veggies and fruit. My non-allergic family however… they will be indulging up the wazoo! Definitely turkey if it’s not dry, ham if it is. Mashed potatoes and baked beans for sides. A ridiculous amount of carbs in the form of bread and butter and noodles. Dessert is always the classic apple pie and pumpkin pie. My dad is always especially pleased if someone bring his favorite- Lemon Meringue. Oh, and I almost forgot! Last year some smart ducky brought a huge plate of fruit… So I may be snacking on that as well 🙂

• Reply Kathryn November 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Ooh I’m excited to try your Christmas cookies. I’m getting very excited about all the holiday baking I have planned!

• Reply Lot-O-Choc November 21, 2012 at 6:11 pm

mmm all looks so nice – ive started to listen to christmas songs recently tooo – feeling so festive 😀

• Reply Sandy November 22, 2012 at 12:48 am

mmmmm i love strawberry black tea! and those cookies look amazing!
    Where has this year gone! Can’t believe its nearly Christmas! lol

• Reply Kammie @ Sensual Appeal November 22, 2012 at 2:51 am

All out of chia seeds?!?! *gasp*
    I love all of your eats but I have to say I’m not a big fan of watery oats SINCE I started blogging. I didn’t even mind it before.. that’s the way I always made them! Funny how things change once I become exposed to this wonderful world of healthy blogs 🙂

• Reply Shannon (Healthiful Balance) November 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I’ve been listening to Michael Buble too. Love him! 🙂
    And as always, amazing looking eats!