WIAW: white halloween

October 31, 2012

You know, it’s funny how only last week I thought to myself that I hadn’t really noticed how the seasons changed this year. Maybe it was because I spent the last month in bed?! But up until last week I hadn’t really given any attention to the colorful leaves on the ground. I had just started to cook comforting fall foods like apple-cinnamon pull apart bread or pumpkin risotto when this happened:

DSC_0485-2

That’s right…it snowed. Heavily. In October. And temperatures remain too cold. I usually love snow and like nothing more than walking in a winter wonderland but currently my biggest fears are that 1. with this early onset of winter we’ll probably not have a white Christmas and that 2. chances are pretty slim that we’ll have good snow on the slopes for when we go skiing in February. Of course there’s nothing left for me to do than to wait and see how things will turn out so for now I’m trying to enjoy the weather.

DSC_0489

Today I will be sharing Saturday’s eats. I spent the day out and about before retiring to the kitchen for a late night baking session. Thanks to Jenn from Peas and Crayons for hosting the weekly party!

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

The day started out with pumpkin oatmeal. I believe it must have one of the first times I’ve had it, at least I couldn’t find photographic documentation of it on my blog. I made it using 1/3 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of water. I stirred in lots of cinnamon, chia seeds, a banana and pumpkin.

DSC_0496

Topped off with coconut and toasted muesli.

DSC_0494

On the side I also had a grapefruit and kiwi. I started my Saturday on a healthy note, didn’t I?

DSC_0453

Not long after I took the underground into the city center to do my usual Saturday morning routine of window shopping, Starbucks and going to the market. I am a creature of habit and icy temperatures and rain will not stop me. A trip to A&F to visit my model friends may have also happened and I may just have to add that visit to my weekly Saturday routine.

I was at Starbucks when it started to snow. I warmed up with a grande latte.

IMG_0985

After some shopping I came home famished and quickly prepared lunch. There’s not much to make when the fridge is empty so this sandwich with a side of carrots was as good as it got. I sliced open a tomato ciabatta, added a dab of tomato spread and some brie. For dessert I had apple which was consumed with a VERY generous drizzle of almond butter.

DSC_0466-2

The  afternoon was spent mainly staring out of the winter, counting snow flakes and grocery shopping. Grocery shopping is something I usually do Saturday afternoon after I’ve roughly set up a meal plan for the week.

For dinner I made this vegetable quinoa bowl with lots of fresh veggies.

DSC_0479

It reminded me a lot of the Nasi Goreng my mom makes for us, although the overall composition and the vegetables are different. It will definitely become a dinner staple since it only took 5 minutes to throw together {the quinoa was precooked though!}

DSC_0474

After dinner I started baking. I brought 2 kinds of pumpkin muffins to work on Monday so I made one batch Saturday night and the other Sunday morning. They were good enough that I will write about them in another post and I think everyone at work really liked them. Anyways, one kind had a nutella-cream cheese filling and since I overestimated the filling part a little bit {totally not on purpose of course}, after almost licking the bowl empty I filled it into a cupcake liner, baked it for 12 minutes and had my own petit cheese cake. Excuse the crappy phone pic!

IMG_0987

Hope everyone out there has a very Happy WIAW. I’m sure I will since no matter what happens today I know that I’ll be flying to London tonight….YAY!!!!

DSC_0488

• Reply Bec October 31, 2012 at 5:14 am

Oh, yum. Your mini cheesecake dessert looks amazing. I also love the look of your dinner. I can’t believe it snowed in October where you are! Wow. I hope there is still enough snow hanging around so you can have fun skiing in Februrary!

• Reply Antonia October 31, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I REALLY hope so too. I think I’ll just have to do lots of skiing during my Christmas vacation, just in case the snow’s not perfect in February.

• Reply Emilie @ Hungry Delights October 31, 2012 at 7:53 am

Oh wow – your breakfast looks so delicious. I am soo jealous that it is snowing where you are! I would definitely swap a bit of my summer if I could have a White Christmas 🙂

• Reply Antonia October 31, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I just can’t imagine celebrating Christmas when it’s hot. For me Christmas is all about snow! I think I just wouldn’t get into proper Christmas mood if it was too warm.

• Reply Kathryn October 31, 2012 at 10:57 am

I didn’t realise you had snow! It got quite cold here last weekend but we’re still a while away from any snow, especially here in London. Have a safe trip over here!

• Reply Antonia October 31, 2012 at 2:12 pm

My sister told me that it’s cold in London. I packed lots of winter jumpers and I’m bringing my winter boots. You never know what the weather will be like!!!

• Reply Lot-O-Choc October 31, 2012 at 12:07 pm

oh wow we had snow last friday; tis crazy we never normally get snow in the UK in October! Loving the look of your pumpkin oats; ive been enjoying pumpkin for breakfast loads recently!

• Reply Antonia October 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I saw that it was snowing in the UK!!! The weather’s just crazy right now, everywhere..

• Reply Jessie October 31, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Oh you poor thing w/ all that snow. I’m definitely not a snow person, which is strange because I’m from an area that is known to have snowstorms year after year. Oh well!

I also wanted to say; everything looks delicious. Your photography skills are amazing too btw <3

• Reply Antonia October 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm

THANK YOU!!!!
      I actually love snow, but I wasn’t prepared for it. I still have my winter jacket at home so I’m freezing wearing my thin autumn jacket.

• Reply Eating 4 Balance October 31, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Sounds like you are feeling much better. Those photos of the leaves are gorgeous by the way!

And that ciabatta looks really good.

• Reply Antonia October 31, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Yes, a lot better!!!
      I took lots of pictures over the weekend cause it was beautiful to see the colorful leaves covered in snow. It’s not something you see everyday.

• Reply kelsey October 31, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Beautiful!!! I’m slightly jealous of the snow! But I’m glad it hasn’t hit Chicago quuiite yet…

Welcome to the pumpkin oats bandwagon! Aren’t they tasty? Your picture looks beautiful!

• Reply Antonia October 31, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Yes, very tasty. I added A LOT of cinnamon though so the pumpkin flavor wasn’t that strong. But I’ll have it again…until I find the perfect recipe!

• Reply Jennifer October 31, 2012 at 1:55 pm

How beautiful!!!! We have to travel to see snow. Your kiwi and grapefruit remind me that I should be eating more fruit. Happy WIAW! 🙂

• Reply Antonia October 31, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I realized while I was sick that I should probably be eating more vitamins….and I was right 🙂 It worked wonders!!! Who needs drugs when you can be snacking on kiwi and grapefruit instead.

• Reply Miss Polkadot October 31, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Oooh, I heard you’d gotten snow in Southern Germany but hadn’t seen any pictures. Yours look great!

Aaah, those mini cheesecakes look divine! Do you think you might mail me some ;)?!

• Reply susan @ susonia.com October 31, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Oh, how I miss snow! I’m from Munich, living in Vancouver, Canada, where winter = rainy season. It’s not cold enough (but still chilly!!) for snow here, so we get lots and lots of rain instead! Your quinoa dish looks delicious! 🙂

• Reply Meghan@cleaneatsfastfeets November 3, 2012 at 2:24 am

The snow has arrived. We got bad weather here too, but it’s finally calming down.
    Your entire day of eats looks delicious and I’m wondering if you would please feed me. Pretty please.