WIAW: home alone…in bed!

by Antonia on October 24, 2012

This week I have a special edition of WIAW eats called “WIAW while I was sick”. Remember that I was a bit unwell the other week. I went to the doctor and I was ordered one week of bed rest. So, it only took about 4 hours for me to be really bored. After cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms, re-organizing my closet, reading blogs and eating way too much chocolate I eventually made my way to the kitchen and started to cook. These are the culinary highlights of the past week.

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

Thank you Jenn from Peas and Crayons for hosting this weekly party!!!

We’ll start with breakfast. Obviously there was lots of warming oatmeal. Whenever I have enough time in the mornings {e.g. weekends} I have oatmeal and have overnight oats during the week. So it was a nice change of pace to have oatmeal every single day.

This was apple-cinnamon oatmeal topped with toasted apple-cinnamon muesli. A big dollop of peanut butter on top.

DSC_0323

And this was banana oatmeal also topped with toasted muesli. Kiwi for extra vitamins on the side.

DSC_0349

When I wasn’t busy eating chocolate in bed my snack of choice was apple with peanut butter. Always a delight!

DSC_0328

Let’s move on to main courses. Here we have some leftover pizza. One slice was mushroom, the other was cheese.

DSC_0192

On the side I had a salad with trail mix. My sister sorted out all the nuts/ trail mixes lying round in my room when she was here two weeks ago and since everything’s neatly arranged now I figured they just have to make it into my salads more often.

DSC_0194

My mom urged me to drag myself to the store to buy ingredients for chicken soup. She makes this healing soup for us whenever we feel sick and it just works wonders every time. I might share the recipe with you all later this week if I don’t forget. If you are currently one of those coughing and sneezing yourself through the day you’ll want to try this, a.s.a.p!

DSC_0216-2

A pasta dish is an obvious choice when you’re sick…minimal effort for lots of culinary joy! It doesn’t get any simpler. To fancy things up a little I made a mushroom sauce that was beyond delicious. I practically licked my plate clean. The recipe will also be shared at some point, maybe, if I don’t forget.

DSC_0315

On Saturday night I was spoiled by my flat mate who made dinner for us. She is also a fellow foodie and made home-made dumplings. One kind was boiled and the other fried. I loved them both but the majority of people thought the fried kind was better…well, just because they were fried. Thanks for a delicious dinner Nina!!! Smile

DSC_0330

Once I felt better {on Saturday} and I had the energy to go for a walk I strolled into the city center for some window shopping and some Starbucks. I hadn’t had coffee for a whole week so it was about time to get some caffeine in my body. While I was waiting for my order to be taken these really attractive guys walked in which I immediately identified as Abercrombie models {please note Abercrombie & Fitch is crazy popular here in Europe}. Since my brother texted me just that morning that an A&F Store will be opening in Munich this week {tomorrow!!!}, in my disbelief I just needed confirmation that it was really happening. The models confirmed and later I saw this driving through the streets of Munich…

IMG_0981

Now I really believe it!

On my way home I found a frozen yoghurt store and I just couldn’t resist a small cup. This probably wasn’t doing my cold any favors but it was worth it…just please don’t tell my mom I was naughty!!!

IMG_0982

And then there was this…

DSC_0367

…Apple-Cinnamon Pull-Apart. Only the greatest creation ever. But that’s another story for another time Smile

Happy WIAW!

Jennifer October 24, 2012 at 4:29 am

Happy WIAW! I hope you are feeling better. It looks like you a great selection of food. Thank you so much for your help Saturday! :-)

Antonia October 24, 2012 at 5:26 am

You’re welcome Jennifer. I totally forgot to reply to your email, sorry about that. All the recipes looked amazing, some will definitely be tried out this fall. Happy WIAW!

Bec October 24, 2012 at 7:00 am

Oh, how weird. I have a friend overseas who sent me a picture of those models in Munich! And now you’ve put it up. How small is this world? haha

Is that apple cinnamon pull apart bread the finger-licking good bread you promised? Because I am definitely looking forward to that!!!

All of your food looks amazing as always! Have a lovely week and I hope you’re better now! x

Antonia October 24, 2012 at 7:32 am

How funny is that? Looks like the A&F models are the talk of the town!!!

Yes, that’s the bread I was talking about. It’s really good…I promise. I wanted to post more info on this post but it would have just gotten too long. A full post on the bread is coming soon :) xx

Jessie October 24, 2012 at 9:31 am

I hope you are feeling better girl… i mean how could you not after eating that pull apart apple-cinnamon bread?? :)

Antonia October 24, 2012 at 9:33 am

Hi Jessie, I’m feeling a lot better already. It must have been the combination of the chicken soup and the pull-apart bread that did the trick :) Happy WIAW!

Kathryn October 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

I can assure you that you ate much better than I did when I was sick last week! Glad you’re feeling better now :)

Antonia October 24, 2012 at 9:43 am

There was lots more I ate but I tend to only take pictures of pretty food. The bars of chocolate and the copious amounts of cereal I inhaled in bed did not need to photographed. Hope you’re feeling better too?!

Clair October 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm

What an amazingly delicious-looking post. Your mom’s healing soup looks a lot like a healing soup that I posted on my own blog! Can’t wait to see how similar they are…and get some ideas for my own. =)

And I think I’ll avoid your post on the pull-apart bread. It will just make my keyboard all drool-y.

Antonia October 24, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I’ll have to check out your recipe to compare. I’ve seen a few recipes pop up lately…looks like everyone’s having a cold and they’re all making soup.

Haha…OK! You will probably want to avoid my blog this weekend then!

kelsey October 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Beautiful pictures, as always!

Haha, the A&F bus…..

Antonia October 25, 2012 at 6:32 am

thanks kelsey :)

Emilie @ Hungry Delights October 24, 2012 at 10:37 pm

droool… you eat the BEST food. Your oatmeal looks so delicious and please please post that recipe for the soup! It looks so comforting and delicious :)

Antonia October 25, 2012 at 6:36 am

Thanks Emilie. But your food looks delicious too. Just love your photos!!!! I posted the recipe this morning!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets October 24, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Wow, everything looks delicious, especially the apple pull apart bread and mom’s chicken noodle soup. Chicken noodle soup has been known to reduce inflammation and help when you are feeling sick, so your mom is onto something. You should have gotten the models digits….
Glad you are feeling better.

Antonia October 25, 2012 at 6:35 am

I know!!! Big mistake….but, I think I’ll head over to the store this weekend to check out the rest of the models.

Miss Polkadot October 24, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Aww, I’m sorry you didn’t feel well the past week but glad you’re doing better now! Your meals look great and a lot better than mine when I’m sick.

Have you ever been to an Abercrombie & Fitch store before? I haven’t but would be curious to see what all the hype’s about :).

Antonia October 25, 2012 at 6:31 am

Thanks!
Yes, I have! I have been to a few {the biggest ones being in NYC and London} and it’s quite cool. Instead of having “normal” people selling the clothes they hire models who dance round in the shops. The stores are all cool, with loud music blasting. It’s nearly dark so you hardly see the clothes and they spray round their signuture perfume through the air-con so it’s intense and you smell the store from 2 blocks away. It’s different than other stores and that’s what attracts the customers.

Eating 4 Balance October 25, 2012 at 2:33 am

All of your food looks awesome, especially for being sick! I know when I’m sick my food choices tend to be very bland and all of the same.

That chicken noodle soup for instance sounds fantastic. And that pull apart bread… Gosh I can’t wait to hear more about it! :)

Nicole @ Sugar Coated Sisters October 25, 2012 at 7:40 am

The apple cinnamon pull apart loaf looks beautiful! It’s inspiring me to make a pumpkin pull apart loaf for Thanksgiving dinner… hmmmm!

Antonia October 25, 2012 at 7:45 am

Oh wow…that would also taste amazing!!!!