WIAW: carb loading

by Antonia on October 17, 2012

Happy WIAW everyone!!! Today I will share Saturday’s eats with you. As mentioned in Monday’s post my parents, Mo and Christina came to Munich over the weekend and I planned a shopping day out with stops along the way to carb load in preparation for Sunday’s half-marathon. Even though in the end I wasn’t able to join Mo and Christina for the race {on a side note: I finally went to the doctor yesterday and have to stay at home for the rest of the week} I took part in the day of carb loading just for fun!

Spooky Snacks and Healthy Halloween Treats

Thanks to Jenn from Peas and Crayons for hosting the weekly foodie event.

My dad arrived in Munich very early in the morning {5am!!!} since he flew in straight from China. Christina and I however wanted to sleep in little so we begged him to hang out at the airport for a little while before meeting us at my flat. He arrived at around 8.45, I gave him the grand tour of my apartment, dropped off his bags at the hotel and we headed straight to the Schrannenhalle {a foodie paradise located in the center of Munich} where we had breakfast.

Since my dad had already eaten at the airport Christina and I ordered two gigantic breakfast plates which we kindly shared with him. Everyone got a drink {I had coffee, Christina had tea, dad had espresso}, freshly pressed juice {mango-orange-lemon juice for me} and a plate with smoked salmon, cheese and ham.

Schrannenhalle 2

On top of that, Christina and I both got a bread basket loaded with freshly baked whole wheat and french bread as well as bread rolls which I ate with apricot jam. We also got small glasses of bircher muesli and fruit salad and shared a pain au chocolat.

Schrannenhalle 1

After we were sufficiently stuffed I gave the gang my usual tour of Munich before meeting up with mom and Mo {who drove up from Austria}. We spent most of the day shopping and needed a break in the afternoon for lunch and coffee. While the men opted for the traditional Müncher Weißwürste, the ladies could not resist apple strudel with vanilla sauce.

DSC_0170-2

I am planning on posting a recipe for this traditional Austrian recipe sometime soon!

DSC_0172-2

After some more shopping we were more than ready for 30 minutes of rest before heading out for dinner. It may not have been super smart to spent most of the day walking around the city with a half-marathon to run the next day!

Since the theme of day was carb loading I made a reservation at an Italian restaurant. What better to have  on the day before a race than pasta and pizza. Since I knew that the pizzas were absolutely delicious everyone {except for my dad} had a pizza.

As a starter my dad and I shared caprese…

DSC_0173-2

… while my mom had a mixed salad and Mo and Christina had carpaccio.

Appetizer Dinner WIAW

Everything was delicious but then came the pizza! I must say this was the best part of the day. Who doesn’t love sitting in front of a gigantic pizza.

DSC_0177-2

Mo could not resist and arm-pizza comparison photo! My pizza was half quattro formaggi and half mushrooms. It was a challenge to eat them so some of us forgot about proper table etiquette in favor of full culinary pleasure.

DSC_0181

If only every weekend would include giant pizzas and a family visit!!!

Happy WIAW!

Jennifer October 17, 2012 at 5:02 am

Happy WIAW! Everything looks so tasty, as always. :-) I would love to try the apple strudel!!

Antonia October 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I’ll have to post a recipe very soon then!!!

Antonia October 17, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I just realized that I already posted the recipe but hadn’t updated it in my recipes. Here’s the link if you’re interested!

Emilie @ Hungry Delights October 17, 2012 at 7:24 am

I look forward to your WIAW (actually any of your posts) every week because your food always looks sooo delicious. Today is no exception – you truly eat and make the most amazing looking meals!

Antonia October 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Emilie!!! But your food looks amazing too!!!! Your pictures are wonderful to look at, I need to take a photography course with you ;)

Bec October 17, 2012 at 7:51 am

I love the look of that breakfast. I always go for bread rolls – and always with apricot jam! And I definitely love caprese salads and pizzas! Those are ginormous! I would kill for pizza like that! :)

Bec October 17, 2012 at 9:38 am

P.S. Sorry you didn’t get to run and that you got sick! It must be pretty awful if you have to have a week off. I hope you feel better really quickly and enjoy your week off!

Antonia October 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Thanks Bec, I feel a bit better already. I guess I just need to rest properly!

Kathryn October 17, 2012 at 10:10 am

Those pizzas look amazing!

Miss Polkadot October 17, 2012 at 10:55 am

Sorry you weren’t able to run! It’s great to see you didn’t let this put a damper on your mood and saw the positive in spending a fun time with family and friends.

Gah, it’s been too long since I’ve had pizza! We used to go to a restaurant in Berlin serving pizzas overlapping the plates they were served one :D – talk generous portion sizes.

Jessie October 17, 2012 at 10:57 am

oh my word, those pizzas!!! They are huge, but they sure do look delicious :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 17, 2012 at 10:58 am

That IS a giant pizza and a lot of food! Did you explode after? ;-) Looks like a very fun day!

Antonia October 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Haha, no! I took home half of the pizza! More would not have fit.

Eating 4 Balance October 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm

WOW. Those are some huge pizzas. I don’t know what it is, but big food is automatically appealing. I have a friend who visited a diner once and ordered a stack of pancakes and she ended up getting stack of pancakes… But each one was the size of a large plate- Like your pizza! :) Did you all end up finishing them?

Antonia October 17, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Oh wow….pancake heaven!!!! No, I only managed to eat half and took home the rest. Had the leftovers for dinner the last 2 nights :)

Meghan@cleaneatsfastfeets October 18, 2012 at 1:31 am

Man oh man; it all looks so good. I would love to try your juice, the caprese salad, the pizza, the streusel. I definitely want that recipe since we are getting apples in our weekly CSA. Hope you feel better soon and happy WIAW.

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family October 18, 2012 at 3:20 am

My gosh those pizzas look amazing! I think I am going to have to make some pizza dough this weekend and enjoy a family pizza night!

Alexia October 18, 2012 at 9:11 am

holy moly those are some HUGE pizzas!! did u guys finish them all? i love when they are thin crusted and baked in a woode oven! nothing better than that. but probably not so nice to eat before a long run! so be aware of that! haha..
i made THE BEST apple strudel last week after i got a 5kg bag of apple from the garden.. i still have way too many apples so need baking again! the key for a nice strudel is to steam the apples first!! so delicious when they are totally soft! i always fear the apples baking too slow so that the dough is ready but the inside hard!