The Half-Marathon that didn’t happen

October 15, 2012

Yesterday I would have run my first half-marathon. I knew that I would sign up for race right after I finished my quarter marathon in April since it was such a fun experience. When my sister, Christina also signed up for the race it was clear that we would have a fabulous time. Then, some weeks ago my younger brother Mo decided that he would like to take part in the 10K race which meant that it would be a full-family affair. It really was a great weekend. My parents and siblings drove from Austria/ flew in from London and we spent most of Saturday shopping and hanging out. It would have been the perfect family weekend…if only I would not have gotten sick.


Last Monday I woke up with an unusual painful sore throat. During the colder months I often wake up with a scratchy throat which goes away as soon as I have a cup of tea. However, this was different. By the end of the day I was feeling tired and unwell. I went to work on Tuesday since I had an all-day training that I did not want to miss but had aching muscles and red eyes for most of the day. In an attempt to get better I stayed at home on Wednesday and Thursday and stayed in bed for most of that time. But instead of feeling better I couldn’t sop coughing, got a runny nose and was constantly tired. By Friday, friends, family and work colleagues told me that I could not possibly take part in the race. I however wanted to wait and see how I felt on Saturday. Long story short, I am still sick today and did not run the race! With joined forces my sister, parents and work colleagues managed to persuade me to go see a doctor tomorrow. 

Lots and lots of tears ran down my face over the past few days since I was so looking forward to running together with my sister. Instead we managed to convince Mo to run the half-marathon and my dad ran the 10K instead of Mo.

Since I don’t have any personal race stories to share with you as planned, I would like to dedicate this post to Christina and Mo. I am so proud of both of them for running the race and for finishing in record time.


Sunday morning began with the perfect runner’s fuel: banana cinnamon oatmeal. A proper runner’s portion for Christina and a normal sized portion for the photographer {me}. Topped off with cashew butter and Justin’s chocolate almond butter which Christina brought back from the US for me. Granola and apple on top!

Marathon Breakfast

While we were eating breakfast my dad was already on his way to his run. The 10K race started at 10.40am, the half-marathon at 1pm. Mo and my mom had breakfast at the hotel and we met up at my flat before driving up to the half-marathon meeting-point.

This was the closest that I got to the half-marathon this weekend.


Mom and I waited for the countdown and when all the half-marathoners jogged off we took the subway to the city center where we waited to cheer on the crowd. The weather could not have been any better, it was perfect with blue skies and warmish temperatures.


We were so happy to see Mo still smiling half way through. He only did 3 or 4 training runs for the 10K run and I don’t think he’s ever run more than 12 or 13km so we were not sure how he would do.

Happy as always!


After cheering on Mo and Christina, mom and I took the subway up to the Olympic park were the finish line was. We expected them at around 3.15pm and while we were waiting we enjoyed the view.


The final stretch was run right insight the Olympic stadium which is pretty impressive. We had primo front row seats which made it easy to spot the champions.

Christina and Mo running

Congrats to Christina, Mo and my dad on their great races. Mo managed to finish his half-marathon in 2:15h, Christina followed closely behind and my dad ran his 10K in 58 minutes.

I’m so proud of you all!!!

Christina and Mo Marathon Finishers

You Might Also Like


  • Reply Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee October 15, 2012 at 11:42 pm

    I’m so sorry to hear you got sick and had to miss your half-marathon 🙁 Munich is one of my favorite cities and I’m thinking of doing the half there next year, it looks like it was a great one!

    • Reply Antonia October 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm

      The course was great! You should definitely sign up. I’m thinking of signing up too, but since I’m not living here anymore at that time I’ll have to wait and see if I can make it.

  • Reply Kathryn October 16, 2012 at 9:35 am

    I’m so sorry you got sick and couldn’t run especially after all the training you’ve put in – it sounds like the rest of your family did you proud though!

    • Reply Antonia October 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

      Thanks Kathryn. Yes, they did!!!

  • Reply Jo October 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

    Hope you’re feeling better Antonia! I love that you’re so close with your family and even though you didn’t get to partake in the half at least you got to spend time with them. And maybe your 1st half marathon can be in London…. 🙂

    • Reply Antonia October 16, 2012 at 2:56 pm

      Hi Jo! Yes, I’m feeling a bit better already. I was thinking of signing up for the London marathon but my sister says it’s hard to get a spot since it’s so popular. Would be great though 🙂

  • Reply Ulli October 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

    I’m so sorry to read that!! Actually I have tears in my eyes right now, as I’m sick too, since more than a week, and stay home from work just since yesterday as it wouldn’t get better… on Saturday I was supposed to run my first obstacle run (Wild Sau Dirt Run) with my hubby and I was looking forward to it since months! Now I cannot run it and am really pissed… so I can relate a lot… hope you already feel better!!!

    • Reply Antonia October 16, 2012 at 2:58 pm

      Ulli, I’m so sorry to hear that you missed a race as well. I am sure you understand how I feel. I hope you get better very soon!!!!!

  • Reply WIAW: carb loading October 17, 2012 at 3:35 am

    […] 17, 2012 Happy WIAW everyone!!! Today I will share Saturday’s eats with you. As mentioned in Monday’s post my parents, Mo and Christina came to Munich over the weekend and I planned a shopping day out with […]

  • Reply Mama’s Healing Chicken Soup October 25, 2012 at 3:16 am

    […] on October 25, 2012 Remember how I was sick for 2 weeks and consequently couldn’t run the half-marathon. Ya, you’re right no need to go over that again. I made it to the doctor last Tuesday and it […]

  • Reply Half-Marathon Training…Take 2 March 3, 2013 at 5:27 pm

    […] might remember that not too long ago {back in October} I should have run my first half-marathon. Unfortunately I got sick the week before the big race and could only stand on the sidelines […]

  • Reply 21K….is no joke!!! April 24, 2013 at 7:50 am

    […] and at times painful as I had expected. I knew from Christina’s and Mo’s stories who ran the half-marathon in October that 21K is some serious business. They kept saying that the first 1o kilometers are actually quite […]

  • Leave a Reply