WIAW: FBC12 eats

by Antonia on October 3, 2012

I am back from London and brought back about a million pictures of the food I ate over the weekend. I think every FBC attendee left the conference thinking the same thing. Either

1. Oh damn, I wanted to win that Vitamix or

2. I’ve never eaten this much food in my life!

Although I ate my fair share of food throughout the three days I was one of those to leave the conference saddened by the fact that I had to leave empty handed, that is without a Vitamix. I did get plenty of swag. Anyhow since the food was so incredibly good and it deserves its own post, here are some of the nibbles and treats I devoured over the weekend.

Thank you to Jenn from Peas and Crayons for hosting the weekly party.

Before I arrived at the conference on Friday I wasn’t sure about how much food would be available but there was never a moment where there was not a plate of food or tray of drinks being passed around. Here are some of my personal highlights.

Vitamix Cottage

The Vitamix Cottage is where I spent most of my free-time. I picked up a green smoothie or breakfast margarita first thing in the morning, had lemon curd mid-morning, washed it down with spicy Thai soup and after lunch enjoyed Bailey’s Frappuccino or strawberry ice cream. If we were lucky they came round with pesto and crackers in the afternoons. It was glorious and I could already see myself at home trying out all the recipes with my own Vitamix. Sadly this will have to wait but I took an embarrassing amount of pictures that I can look through whenever I have Vitamix withdrawal symptoms.

DSC_0091

DSC_0099-2

Vitamix Pesto

Is it not the best machine ever? I need one in my life so badly!!!

Pistachio Rose

Rehka from Pistachio Rose was kind enough to share with us some of her baked goods. Not only did everything look amazing, the tarts and biscuits combined traditional products and Indian spices so the flavors was out of this world good. On the last day she made sweet Naan bread with a lusciously thick chocolate sauce. Incredible! I highly recommend you look onto her website, her treats will not disappoint.

Pistachio Naan

DSC_0104-2

DSC_0105

DSC_0106

Street Food

For most lunches and dinners we were treated with some incredible street food. Tasting my way through the various dishes really made me realize that there’s so much food out there that’s yet to be explored by me. If you ask me, street food is a superb way to get to know a country and who doesn’t like eating?. My favorite dish was the tacos I had for lunch on Saturday served by Toma Mexicano. From what I overheard they are in the process of opening a restaurant which means more yummy Mexican food for me!

DSC_0089

On Sunday I couldn’t pick between the choices so I had a taste of both the blue cheese focaccia and the curry. The focaccia, which was served by Gurmetti was filled with cheese and pesto and the bread was perfectly crisp.

DSC_0186

The second option was a Seychelles inspired curry dish by Vinn Goute. Almost everyone who had one of the curries was on fire after tasting the dish since they were hot! I guess I was lucky, I chose the vegetarian option which was flavorful and spicy but did not leave me breathing fire.

DSC_0196-2

I will write a second post on the conference and the workshops later this week but I’d like to point out in this post that I could not have chosen a better blogger get-together. The organization was great, the crowd was incredible and obviously the food wasn’t too bad either. If you live in Europe and want to attend a good blogger conference this is the one to go to.

Also, be sure to check back later today if you’d like to enter in a special Blog-Birthday Giveaway!!!!

Edited to add:

Happy WIAW

Jennifer October 3, 2012 at 5:10 am

Looks like a fun time! I want a vitamix too. I feel your pain. :-)

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I had the best time. I think the vitamix is the one kitchen appliance that everyone wants. I don’t need a lot to be happy in the kitchen but I feel like a vitamix would round my collection off nicely.

Emilie @ Hungry Delights October 3, 2012 at 7:12 am

Sighhh I think all us food bloggers dream of a vitamix! It looks like you had an awesome time and were subjected to some insanely good food! Thanks so much for sharing it with us :)

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:09 pm

That’s for sure….and not only bloggers! My mom’s pointed out several times that she would like one herself. I hope this purchase happens very soon so I can steal the vitamix and take it to Munich with me :D

Grace | A Life Unhurried October 3, 2012 at 7:24 am

This is a wonderful recap, Antonia. The food choices certainly had me eating beyond my usual diet! It was a great atmosphere. Now, I’m looking forward to next year’s FBC!

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I can’t wait for FBC13. It was so nice to meet you, Grace!!! I don’t want to wait another year to go back!

Jo October 3, 2012 at 8:23 am

Mmmm, your pictures have just rejogged my tastebuds from the weekend. I’ll definitely be spending the next few weeks tracking down the the food traders for some more. Thanks for sharing!

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I wish I lived in England so I’d have a chance to get more street food too. The tacos were incredible! And I’m still dreaming of Rehka’s tarts!

Kathryn October 3, 2012 at 9:16 am

Great pictures – they’ve brought all those delicious memories back! It was so lovely to meet you over the weekend : )

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I was a pleasure to meet you too. I hope I’ll see you again soon :)

Heather @ InHerChucks October 3, 2012 at 10:11 am

I LOVE my Vitamix and pretty much use it for everything. My husband surprised me with it for my birthday last year and I feel like I haven’t turned it off since.

Thanks for sharing your delicious eats :) Happy WIAW!

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I totally believe you. They did a ton of demonstrations for all kind of things over the weekend. The vitamix really can do it all: soups, smoothies, desserts, etc. The best invention ever!!!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 3, 2012 at 10:24 am

Everything looks yummy! I’d LOVE to have a Vitamix!!

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Me too!!!

Ffion @ Chocolate and Raspberries October 3, 2012 at 10:40 am

It looks like you had a fab time! I’ve been coveting a vitamix for years! Its one thing Iestyn and I have agreed can be on our presents list when we get married!

Jessie October 3, 2012 at 11:41 am

Oh how I dream of owning a vitamix!! If only they weren’t so expensive :(

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:16 pm

That’s my main concern too. I know it’s a great machine but I’m not quite ready to spend that much money for a kitchen appliance. I spend way too much money on kitchen stuff already!

Bec October 3, 2012 at 11:48 am

All of these foods looks amazing! I love street food too. And I would kill to have a Vitamix. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, I can’t wait to see the recaps :)

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I had the best time. Blogger meet-ups are so much fun!

Eating 4 Balance October 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Wow. It looks like you had a ton of fun! I’m always interested to see reviews from different Healthy Living Conventions, especially ones from other countries… Actually, yours will be the first review that I’ll have read from one not in the U.S. :)

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:18 pm

My dream is actually to attend the Foodbuzz Festival but the flight to the US is too long for just a weekend. But I would love to meet all the American bloggers. I hope my recap won’t disappoint.

Shannon @ Healthiful Balance October 3, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I’m so glad you had a great time in London! All the food looks so good! And who wouldn’t want a vitamix?! :D

Rachel @ cuttingoutcarbs October 3, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Ummm…I think I just died looking at those sweets. Chocolate naan? Yes please. Now I just need to find a gluten-free version that doesn’t look too hard to make myself :)

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:20 pm

The Naan had pistachios on top and the chocolate sauce together with the bread was a perfect match. I’m sure there is a gluten-free Naan version somewhere! Just dunk it into chocolate sauce and it will change your life forever.

Shannon - Healthiful Balance October 3, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I’m glad you had a great time in London! All the food looks really good. And who wouldnt want a Vitamix?! :D

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Right? I have yet to meet a person who wouldn’t want a vitamix.
London was great, as it always is. Hope your vacation is good too! Did you get a chance to go to Munich?

Marisa@TheCollegeCuisiner October 3, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Everything looks amazing! I haven’t had good naan since I left England it makes me home sick!

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I knew NOTHING about Indian cuisine before moving to England, it’s just not that popular yet in Austria. But Naan and the curries are just so delicous and flavorful.

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family October 3, 2012 at 4:34 pm

It looks like you had tons of good food (I am salivating just looking at it all) and yes I concur the Vita-Mix is the best machine EVER!!!

So glad to have found your blog through Jenn :)

Antonia October 3, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Welcome Rachel! Glad you found my blog too :)

Chelsea @ahintofhealthy October 3, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Oh I want a vitamix so bad too! My in-laws have one and I use it every chance I get-they are amazing!

Tessa at Amazing Asset October 5, 2012 at 1:20 am

Ahh I would have been all over those vita-mix concoctions as well! I do want one… but someone needs to give me a few hundred bucks first ;) Okay and chocolate naan!? I’m pretty sure I could live off of something like that, or at least enjoy it for a whole lotta meals!

Sally - My Custard Pie October 5, 2012 at 7:13 am

Lovely recap – I’m missing those green smoothies and breakfast margaritas!

Antonia October 5, 2012 at 8:33 am

thanks sally! at least you can re-create all the drinks at home with your new vitamix! lucky you!!!