WIAW: september mornings

by Antonia on September 5, 2012

Good morning and happy WIAW! I hope you’ve survived Labor Day weekend and are back on track?! My weekend was rather low-key. I was at home which is always nice, was spoiled by my parents and brother {which is even nicer} and had some delicious meals as well…so really, I can’t complain. Today I’ll show you a blend of both Saturday’s and Sunday’s eat. I’ll explain more on that later!

As always, WIAW would not be possible without the wonderful Jenn from Peas and Crayons. Thanks for hosting the weekly party Smile I was so excited last night when I saw the beautiful bright WIAW September button. The theme is also great! I think the beginning of a new season is a great time to change your habits, whether that’s your eating habits, exercise habits or really any small positive change. I’ll use Jenn’s words: let’s all “embrace some healthy changes in your life” this month.

The day started out with a visitor in our neighbor’s garden. I woke up, opened the blinds and then saw this: DSC_0703

Of course, once I came closer Mr Bambi quickly ran into the woods so I only have that one picture. Pretty cute though!

Since it was the {unofficial} beginning of fall, it was only right to have a piping hot bowl of oatmeal. I mixed in raspberries, banana and goji berries into the oatmeal and topped it off with walnut butter, plums and blueberries.

DSC_0711

DSC_0715

On the side a very hot and steamy cup of peach flavored black tea.

DSC_0718

I went shopping for fall essentials with my mom and when we got home my mom and Mo cooked lunch for the family. We had Nasi Goreng {Indonesian fried rice}, a family favorite. As always we had enough for at least 20 people so I brought some leftovers to work with me yesterday. What can I say, my mom’s still used to cooking for a family 6 + friends!

DSC_0740

Not that I did any of the cooking, but once the veggies are cut it’s super easy to throw together in just 10 minutes. Of course, when you cook the amount we do it takes a tiny bit longer!

DSC_0739

The Nasi Goreng was served with eggs, sunny side up! Yummy, yummy, yummy…I got love in my tummy!

DSC_0746

After lunch it was time the obligatory cup of coffee. On the side I nibbled on some biscuits that my brother brought back from Scotland.

DSC_0753

We spent the afternoon at IKEA. I’m moving into a new flat mid September so of course a trip to IKEA just had to be scheduled beforehand. The flat’s all furnished so in reality I wouldn’t need anything and considering I already have a ton of stuff in my current flat my new room will probably be overflowing. But IKEA is always fun!

Just before dinner time my friend came over. Although I live a lot closer to my friends now than I do when living in England I don’t actually get to see my friends that much more. As part of my hostess duties I prepared peach iced tea.

DSC_0762

For dinner we had leftover Nasi Goreng {what a great host I am!} and ate chocolate that I brought back from Germany for dessert. Since dinner was a repetition of lunch instead of posting the same pics all over again, I thought I’d show you a glimpse of Sunday’s eats instead.

Breakfast on Sunday included a loaded basket of baked goods. I had my standard bowl of oats but also had half of a brioche rolls and some bread with jam.

DSC_0769

DSC_0765

For lunch we had salmon with cucumber salad {which we barely had enough of} and oven roasted potatoes on the side. Everything you see on the plate was delicious. I used both lemon juice and soy sauce with my salmon. Try it, it’s the perfect blend!!

DSC_0815

DSC_0822

Since my dad drove to Munich Sunday evening I got to go with him which spared me another long train ride. I did not take pictures of my dinner but I’ll tell you this much it included ice cream. What can I say, I like to end my weekend on a healthy note Smile

And that concludes another WIAW post!

How was your weekend? Do you have any favorite fall eats {please share!!!}? Which good habit will you be working on?

Meghan@cleaneatsfastfeets September 5, 2012 at 6:19 am

I recognize those delicious biscuits in the background. They are some of my favorites!
As always, your food looks beautiful.
Have a great time at IKEA.

Antonia September 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

they’re walker biscuits :) scrumptious!!!

Bec September 5, 2012 at 6:23 am

Oh my god that bread tray looks amazing! I love bread of all kinds! :) salmon is damn amazing at any time of the day :) all your eats look lovely – it’s like your entire family can cook! Have a lovely Wednesday :)

Antonia September 5, 2012 at 6:08 pm

haha….yes actually we can all cook. we’re not all as food-crazy as me, but my mom made sure to teach us the cooking basics from an early age onwards. my older brother makes great salads, my younger brother makes delicious crepes and my sister’s specialty is lavender cupcakes :)

Emilie @ Hungry Delights September 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

I love nasi goreng! I haven’t made it in ages those – you have inspired me to do so! Happy WIAW :)

Antonia September 5, 2012 at 6:05 pm

awww! always happy to be someone’s inspiration. happy wiaw! nasi goreng really is the best thing ever.

Kat @ a dash of fairydust September 5, 2012 at 10:15 am

Brioche rolls are amazing,they were my favorite when I was a child. My mom used to bake them freshly and when my dad wasn’t at home (as he prefers “normal bread”),we ate them hot out of the oven with jam for an especially delicious breakfast. <3

Antonia September 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I’d love to bake more of my own bread. I know it’s possible and not to hard if you have the patience to let the dough rise. my next baking experiment will involve cinnamon rolls….there’s something about them that I just love!

Jessie September 5, 2012 at 11:22 am

Your lunch containing the salmon & cucumber salad looks devine!!

Antonia September 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm

thanks. i’ll pass that compliment on to my mom :)

Eating 4 Balance September 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm

It’s good to know that I’m not the only one feeling in a “fall” spirit. Even though where I live it’s still hot, muggy, and positively SUMMER, I feel like fall has already begun. Now if the temperature would just get the hint…

Antonia September 5, 2012 at 6:02 pm

it’s weird. it was still quite hot last week and then september 1st rolled round and it’s been dreary ever since. love it like this :)

Jennifer September 5, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Happy WIAW! Your oatmeal looks so good and so does that bread basket. YUM! :-)

Antonia September 5, 2012 at 8:17 pm

oh thanks!!!! happy wiaw :)

Shannon (Healthiful Balance) September 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Happy WIAW to you too! Do you mind if I just grab a bunch of food from this blog post and eat it? Seriously..your food pictures make me hungry! Everything looks SO good!!

Antonia September 5, 2012 at 8:18 pm

:) that’s something I would love to do whenever I read WIAW posts!!!

Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit September 5, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Mmm, Indonesian food sounds delicious! I just might have to try out that recipe ;)

Antonia September 5, 2012 at 9:11 pm

you should!!! you will not be disappointed ;)

Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition September 5, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Mmm your oats look amazing! I love when nut butter gets all melty on oatmeal:)

Antonia September 6, 2012 at 5:26 am

thanks…I know that’s the best thing!

Heather @ InHerChucks September 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm

that oatmeal looks amazing! What a great way to start the day :)

this month I am going to do my best to continue eating clean. I just finished a 4 week clean eating plan and I am feeling great!

Happy WIAW :)

Antonia September 6, 2012 at 5:27 am

wow. good for you! It’s amazing what a month of clean eating can do to your energy levels, isn’t it!?