WIAW: august favorites.

by Antonia on August 15, 2012

Hi everyone. Hope your week was off to a great start. I drove back to Munich early Monday morning after a fun weekend and came back home yesterday afternoon, just in time for another dip into the lake. Since today’s a public holiday in Germany and Austria I have the day off and as it’s exactly one month into my internship it was  about time to take a couple of days off and relax so I’m home until Sunday night.

Instead of showing you a full day of food like I normally do, I thought it would be more fun to show you some of my summer food favorites or staples. I take pictures of almost all my meals but other than on Wednesday’s I hardly ever share what I eat during a normal day (although it would be fun). So, as you can imagine my camera is loaded with pictures.

Thank you as always to Jenn from Peas and Crayons for hosting the weekly foodie party.

So let’s begin with the most important meal. No, not dessert, but breakfast. Although I love oatmeal and it would have to be one of my top 3 favorite breakfasts, during the summer I navigate towards cooler breakfasts like overnight oats. Overnight oats are so versatile and especially during the summer you can add fresh fruit and berries and if those aren’t available add some frozen fruit for some extra nutrients. Topping it off with nut butter is a given, and adding an extra sprinkle of chia seeds adds some complete protein.

Another one of my favorites is Bircher Muesli. This is a healthy way to start off the day and will leave you full for hours. It requires a little more prep time in the mornings than overnight oats do, but those extra 5 minutes are totally worth it. As with any other breakfast you can add fruit, berries and seeds according to your taste and individualize it to fit what you like.

During the summer I also get more creative with lunch and dinners. In winter I like to cook a hearty meal, however in summer I love nothing more than a fresh, colorful mixed salad. When I make salads I start off with green and then just cut in whatever veggies I find in the fridge. I like adding some goat cheese to my salads and for an extra pop of color adding a piece of fruit will really excite your taste buds. This was one of the salads I had not too long ago. I grilled the tomatoes and nectarines, which ended up tasting really sweet and juicy. Delicious!

Caprese Salad is the one dish that we just never make enough off. No matter how big the plate or how much mozzarella we cut, we could always eat more. My mom actually made this for dinner last night. As with all salads you can change the taste by simply using different oils and vinegars. We like arranging the tomatoes and mozzarella in a neat pattern with basil leaves in between them and drizzling olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top. But to add more flavor to this dish we used a blend of truffle and olive oil on the salad last night and added pesto genovese for the typical flavor. Arugula leaves on top with a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Perfection!

What would summer by without fresh garden produce. We are lucky enough to be able to grow vegetables and fruit in two gardens so we have a constant supply of tomatoes, berries and other vegetables. Other than the obvious we have lots of pumpkins growing in the garden. Luckily for us we love making pumpkin soup in the fall, but I can’t wait to try some new recipes as well. Anything I should definitely try???

The blackberries are delicious on top or mixed into overnight oats!

One thing we like to do during the summer is go out for dinner. Our favorite restaurant here at the lake house it right up the road, has an amazing view, and most importantly serves incredible, fresh food. We went there twice only last weekend which is great for me since everything on the menu sounds mouthwatering. Here are some of the recent meals I took pictures of. If you’re ever in the neighborhood and are looking for a great restaurant be sure to contact me and I’ll give you the address.

Those were some of my August favorites! Can’t wait to check out what all of you have been eating. Enjoy the rest of your week and HAPPY WIAW!!!!

P.S. There’s a new recipe coming your way sometime this week!

What are some of your summer favorites?

Bec August 15, 2012 at 4:31 am

Um, wow. Those dinners looks absolutely amazing. And I agree with you – in summer I need cold oats and bircher muesli, lots of fruit and salad and grilled dinners, while in winter soups and hearty meals are worth the effort. This was such a great post – your photography is as beautiful as always. Also, I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger award on my blog :)

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 10:28 am

thanks so much bec!!!!! it’s such an honor to be awarded. hope you have a great day :)

Alek Prus August 15, 2012 at 5:21 am

YUM, I love cold oats (: check out my WIAW and Justin’s Nut butter review and giveaway:)

Alek Prus August 15, 2012 at 5:22 am
Tara@Sugar Spice and Bacon August 15, 2012 at 5:30 am

Wow! Everything looks so amazing!! I want to come play in the garden! :)

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 10:27 am

you’re always more than welcome to come by :)

Kristina August 15, 2012 at 5:41 am

(came here from Jenn’s… hello!)

your food is all so beautiful – this would all make me very happy! I love bright and vibrant colors in food… that nectarine salad looks perfect, I am going to have to do something like that soon… I love grilled veggies in salads.

happy Wednesday!

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 10:27 am

hi kristina. thanks for stopping by. i’m sure you’ll love the grilled nectarines! happy wiaw.

Meghan@cleaneatsfastfeets August 15, 2012 at 5:48 am

As always, your pictures are amazing. I’d pretty much eat anything you’d make. Grilling the tomatoes and the peaches…great idea. Bet the flavor was out of this world.

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 10:26 am

it sure was. give it a try, it really makes the flavor come through even more!

theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine August 15, 2012 at 6:06 am

All your food has such vivid color, I am so impressed and hungry at the same time!

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 10:25 am

hahaha…thanks!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes August 15, 2012 at 6:43 am

I love all of the colourful ingredients that you use in you food. I always have to eat colourful food!

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 10:25 am

thanks for stopping by jemma. i try to add as much color as possible, makes eating a lot more fun :)

cassidy August 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

Beautiful pictures! All your food looks amazing and so summery. I am a big fan of oatmeal. I like your suggestions on how to add variety to it.

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 7:04 pm

thanks cassidy :)

ALEXIA August 15, 2012 at 10:07 am

oh wow your photos have so much colour!! amazing! i especially love the photos of the blackberries, i got some fresh ones from my grandmas garden last week and i am thrilled about how much better they taste than store bought ones.
at the moment i am also crazy about chanterelles (Eierschwammerln) and could toss some in every dish and salad i make. so good when they are in season! where do u live anyways? i might pop by for a lovely dinner! :) any secret to your bircher muesli?

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 10:24 am

i absolutely love chanterelles as well. i brought back a big bag yesterday that i bought at the viktualienmarkt. they really are one of my summer favorites. i actually live in linz, but we spend our summers at the beautiful attersee :) if you’re ever in the neighborhood let me know!!!

Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running August 15, 2012 at 10:20 am

Gorgeous food pics! Love berries in Summer!

Tessa at Amazing Asset August 15, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Breakfasts, lunches and dinners… all glorious looking Antonia! I love that you added peaches to your first salad there… they are a summer staple for me and then incorporated into salads? Just delicious :) Berries and other fresh fruit are always my summer favorites, I cannot get enough!

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 7:37 pm

thanks tessa :) a summer without fresh berries just wouldn’t be the same!

Christina August 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Everything looks so colourful! I would love to be able to grow my own fruit and vegetables – one day we will have the space! My Great-Grandparents had an allotment in their backgarden, and that’s my dream :)

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I also dream of having a big garden at my own house where I can grow my own fruit and vegetable some day!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness August 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I love all the fresh food in your meals! Everything looks fabulous!

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 6:40 pm

thanks danielle :)

Jamie August 15, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Oh my goodness I am SALIVATING! Everything looks so delicious! :)

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 6:40 pm
Eating 4 Balance August 15, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I actually get less creative during the summer. Well, maybe more “simple” like you were saying. In the winter I get bored and experiment with super-complex recipe concoctions. In the summer I am satisfied with banana ice cream or a salad.

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Recipes definitely get simpler in the summer, but maybe also because I don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen when I could be outside in the sun?!

Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition August 15, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Your breakfasts look delicious! I will definitely have to get Bircher muesli!:) Gorgeous photos, too!

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 7:36 pm

thanks. the bircher muesli will not disappoint. i promise!

Becks at Crunchy Can Feel Good August 15, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Everything looks so fresh and delicious. Every single meal looks like it’s glistening with joy!

Antonia August 15, 2012 at 7:34 pm

thanks for stopping by and your beautiful comment :) happy wiaw!

Jessie August 16, 2012 at 6:08 am

That caprese salad & all your dinner dishes look delicious. Would love to know the recipes :)

Emilie @ Hungry Delights August 16, 2012 at 7:28 am

Wow you eat the most beautiful food. The Caprese salad looks soo good. What amazing fresh produce you have access to! Also your photography is to DIE for :)

Clair August 16, 2012 at 1:10 pm

How gorgeous! Wish I could say I’ve been eating as much fresh produce as you. Summer has gotten busy, and I’m sorry to say I haven’t been making it to the market as often. =(

Jennifer August 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I always love your photos! I have been making caprese salads alot this summer too. I never get tired of it. This summer we have a small vegetable garden but we never run out of tomatoes. :-)