WIAW: let the sightseeing begin

by Antonia on August 8, 2012

Happy WIAW, my dearest readers! I hope everyone’s been enjoying the first week of August and the Olympic Games. I have to admit I haven’t been following the events as closely I would have liked to but it seems like so far it’s been very successful…well, not for Austria but for most other countries, that is! Although I should be supportive of Great Britain, seeing as it’s the place where I study, I have to say I was quite sad to hear that Roger Federer was defeated by Andy Murray in the  finals. Ever since my sister and I saw Roger play at the US Open in 2009 we’ve been very supportive fans! But other than for tennis I don’t really have any favorites and hence don’t care which country takes home most gold medals.

Today I will once again share Sunday’s eats with you all. I take pictures of almost every meal when I’m at home so it’s always easy to share weekend eats as opposed to what I ate during the week as the food at work simply isn’t worth being photographed. Although lunch is always an enjoyable time during the day at the office it’s not the food that I look forward to but mostly getting a chance to mingle with colleagues and being able to takes my eyes off of the computer screen for 45 minutes.

As always a huge thank you to Jenn for hosting this weekly foodie party! I’m still very pleased with this month’s theme and as you will see I tried to include as many of my personal summer staples as possible!

My Sunday began with a lovely breakfast which consisted of a pastry I bought at the market on Saturday along with some berries and a very juicy nectarine.

I’ve been trying to be more active on twitter lately and now that I have a German phone card with internet access it makes tweeting so much easier. I shared a picture of my breakfast with my twitter followers and it seems I had a couple of people drooling…sorry for that! It was a delicious cinnamon pastry and the addition of the jam on top brought it to the next level. I had a cup of decaf coffee on the side!

After breakfast it was time for some household chores: laundry, cleaning the kitchen and bathroom, etc. Since it was such a beautiful day I decided to go for a run at around 11am. My pre-run snack: a banana with  of almond butter.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had troubles running for a couple of weeks since my knee started hurting about half-way through just about every single run. As suggested by my doctor I took 2 weeks off  and slowly re-introduced it when I moved to Munich. Although I sometimes still feel a twinge here or there, overall it’s a lot better and I try to run 3-4 times per week and include strength training (Best Body Bootcamp) as well. On my run I covered about 11km which I was quite happy with :)

I had plans to head into town to do some sightseeing so after a quick shower I prepared a open-faced sandwich.

The bread was from the farmer’s market and was topped with ham and cheese, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and bell pepper. On the side I had an ugly looking egg and plums.

My plans for the afternoon included going up the tower of the Alter Peter, a church located in the center of the city where (when the weather is nice) you have an amazing view. Luckily, the sky was almost cloudless. I took a billion pics which I’ll probably share in a separate post.

After tackling the 300 steps up the church tower it was time to treat myself with ice cream. The people at work have been bombarding me with ice cream store recommendations and I’m trying to go to a different store whenever I’m in town. On Sunday I went to Schubecks’s Eis and tried the cookies flavor. It was good but the scoop was a bit too small for the price you pay.

One of the things that I love about Munich is the fact that they have things like chia seeds at health food stores. In Austria people haven’t yet discovered this superfood yet so we had to ask Christina to bring some over for us when she came to visit for my mom’s birthday. But now that I have my own 500g bad I finally got to try Kimberly Snyder‘s chia seed pudding. Instead of the  cocoa powder I used cinnamon and I was amazed by how good this tastes.

I probably should have waited a couple more minutes before digging in but as a chia seed lover I couldn’t wait to try this. The consistency should be creamy and thick and I swear this tastes soooo goood!!!

Dinner was easy and quick. Just the way I like it. I cooked some spinach ricotta ravioli and while those were simmering away I made a ratatouille-like topping. Sprinkled with parmesan :)

Overall it was a perfect summer day. I was a bit angry with myself for not driving home to the lake on such a hot day but after this weekend I finally don’t feel like a tourist in a strange city anymore…which is also positive :)

HAPPY WIAW !!!

Jennifer August 8, 2012 at 5:12 am

Happy WIAW! Your pictures are beautiful as always! Pastry and fresh fruit, what a way to start the day. :-)

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:22 pm

thanks jennifer. it was the perfect way to start a beautiful sunday :) happy wiaw

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal August 8, 2012 at 5:17 am

Happy WIAW! All of your photos are so vivid and colorful, such a pleasure to look at :)

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:21 pm

thanks kammie. your comments mean so much to me :) happy wiaw

theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine August 8, 2012 at 5:57 am

That breakfast pastry looks phenomenal! It makes me want to hop across the pond and go to the market with you!

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:20 pm

thanks :) you’re more than welcome to join me if you’re ever in the neighborhood! happy wiaw

Bec August 8, 2012 at 6:02 am

Your breakfast looks phenomenal. I’m on the other side of the tennis thing though haha – I’m a diehard Murray fan. My family loved Federer though – this leads to freqeutn emails dissing each other when one of our favourites wins. My grandad was particularly bad after Wimbledon this year haha. Also I just love Munich – I remember when we went there it was just beautiful. Surprisingly warm, but beautiful.

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm

haha!!! sounds fun! we don’t have that problem in our family. we all support roger federer :)
yes, it can get quite hot here during the summer. i always laugh when people think that that the temperature in austria or germany doesn’t rise above 20°C during the summer!!

Emilie @ Hungry Delights August 8, 2012 at 6:31 am

I love the look of that breakfast pastry!! Looks sooo yum :)

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:17 pm

thanks emilie. it was delicious :)

Doris @ vanillacocoberry August 8, 2012 at 8:39 am

lovely eats but one thing I dont understand: decaf coffee?? wtf?

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I know, I know. Thing is, I don’t have a coffee machine here in munich (yet). I left my beloved nespresso machine in england thinking that I’d be drinking plenty of coffee at the office, but that’s just plain disgusting so I usually don’t have that much coffee during the week. there is the obligatory stop at starbucks along the way (duh!) but so far I’ve only been testing my way through different brands, etc. happy wiaw xx

Emily @ Life on Food August 8, 2012 at 11:10 am

Oh my goodness I want that breakfast. Beautiful plate and delicious!

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm

delicious it was, indeed! happy wiaw!!!

Meghan@cleaneatsfastfeets August 8, 2012 at 11:25 am

Your pictures are amazing. I want to jump right into everything.

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm

awww, thanks so much :)

Christina August 8, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Everything looks so good! Especially your breakfast, YUM!

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm

thanks christina :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Your lunch is looking fantastic…. love open-faced sandwiches sometimes because then you can taste what is actually in the sandwich as opposed to a whole lot of bread ha. I think the egg on the side actually looks tasty, mmm yolk :)
That dinner looks tasty too, good stuff lady!

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm

what I personally love most about open-faced sandwiches is the fact you have the double amount of toppings :D happy wiaw xx

Liz @ iheartvegetables August 8, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Hey! I just found your blog through WIAW and I just have to say your photos are AMAZING!

I love chia seeds but I’ve never tried them that way!

xoxo

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm

hi liz. thanks so much for stopping by. I love having new readers here :)

Molly @ A Fresh Start For Molly August 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Your photos make everything look so yummy! Happy WIAW!

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 5:10 pm

thanks :) happy wiaw to you!

Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness August 8, 2012 at 6:18 pm

That pastry looks unreal!!! I want that breakfast ASAP!

Antonia August 8, 2012 at 7:34 pm

If you’re ever in the Munich be sure to contact me and then we can have breakfast together. I will guide you to the best bakeries in the city :)

Heather @ InHerChucks August 8, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Banana and almond butter is one of my favorite indulgences :) Happy WIAW!

Antonia August 9, 2012 at 5:35 am

that combo is my favorite pre-run snack. i just love almond butter in general :)

Sloane August 9, 2012 at 12:46 am

Oh my gosh. I didn’t think your eats could get better than your gorgeous breakfast, but every single one looks amazing! I want to grab them through the screen. Drool. Thanks so much for sharing–do you have a recipe/general guidelines for that pasta topping?
Happy Wednesday
xoxo

Antonia August 9, 2012 at 5:34 am

hi. thanks so much for stopping by. for the topping i sort of followed my ratatouille recipe (which can be found in the recipe page) but changed it a little. i used about 1/2 small eggplant, 1/4 zucchini, 1/2 bell pepper and a couple of small tomatoes. I cut everything into small pieces, then sauteed it in olive oil (i started with the zucchini, then added the eggplant, bell pepper and then the tomatoes). season with salt and pepper and herbs (lots of basil) and let it sit on low-medium heat for 30-40 minutes. in case your tomatoes aren’t that juicy you can also use canned tomatoes. xx

Austin August 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Your pictures are so beautiful! All of your food looks delicious in them! Thanks for sharing!

Living, Learning, Eating August 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Your food pics are always great! And ice cream in Germany is super delicious, but I agree – that scoop is quite small!