WIAW: mom’s birthday weekend

by Antonia on August 1, 2012

Can someone please make the time stop!!! How is Wednesday already and even worse how can it possibly be August?? I always thought that my summer vacation flew by faster than the actual school year but even when I’m at work all day I feel like days are just flying by without me really making use of them. Am I the only feeling this way?

I was so happy to see this month’s WIAW theme, Summer Staples, because to me August is the real summer. In Austria we still have school in July and it usually takes a couple of weeks to get into vacation mode and by the time August rolls around my body knows that it’s time to relax…not so this year. My internship doesn’t really permit me to enjoy the summer as much as I would like to but the weather hasn’t been that great anyways so spending most of my days indoors isn’t really that much of a torture than I initially expected it to be. Plus, I have spent most of my weekends at our lake house so I’ve been able to go swimming a couple of times :) ….overall I really can’t complain. I get to live in a beautiful and buzzing city during the week and get to relax at home in a quaint and picturesque village with cool lake water right at the door step. Isn’t that what summer is all about?

Since it was my mom’s birthday on Friday, Christina escaped from Olympia Central and came to Austria over the weekend to enjoy a quiet couple of days at home. It was so nice to have her home and I think it made my mom’s birthday weekend even more special. We prepared a delicious brunch on Saturday, spent the day at the lake and went out for dinner and on Sunday decided to spend a low-key day at home….and this is what I ate!

Breakfast was very similar to last week’s breakfast. It started off with a bowl of oats, banana and blueberries topped with home-made walnut butter which was followed by bread rolls and pastries. We have a huge walnut tree in our garden and since we don’t know what to do with all of the walnuts my mom asked me to make walnut butter…it’s a winning recipe!

After breakfast I decided to go for a quick run. The weather wasn’t warm enough to go to the lake and since I spend most of the day sitting in an office during the week I try to make an effort to getting movin’ as much as possible on the weekends to make up for the lack of exercise.

Lunch was a team effort. I made mushroom risotto while my mom made pork tenderloin and salad. Risotto really is one of my favorite things to eat and conversely to many people’s beliefs its preparation is not time consuming at all. Here’s the recipe if you’d like to have a look at how I prepare it. I also had a unpictured side salad.

The best thing about birthdays? Exactly! The cake!!! I was a very bad daughter and did not bake a cake but it probably would not have made it home in one piece on the train ride home. Christina, on the other hand was very thoughtful and made “birthday brownies” for my mom and on Saturday my Grandma brought the actual birthday cake: a chocolate-cinnamon-nut cake. Two slices were enjoyed for dessert with a cup of coffee.

Not too long after lunch I had to pack up my things and head back to Munich. The traffic can be quite bad on Sunday’s and I wanted to get a head-start before the rest of the weekend travelers made their way back. I was really tired when I got back so a simple salad sounded just right.

Mixed lettuce, with feta cheese and hunks of walnut bread with goat cheese. Perfect and light summer salad!

HAPPY WIAW!!!!!

What do you love about August? Any fun plans for this month? Share and make me jealous :)

Jessica August 1, 2012 at 5:44 am

I am a huge risotto fan, but haven’t found a recipe that I am totally in love with yet…thanks for sharing the link, it looks like a winner!

Antonia August 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm

you’re welcome. it’s a recipe that can be altered and adjusted depending on what ingredients you feel like adding!

Meghan@cleaneatsfastfeets August 1, 2012 at 5:44 am

Your salad looks delicious. Welcome back!

Antonia August 1, 2012 at 5:38 pm

thanks! so glad my laptop is fixed :) I missed blogging and reading blogs A LOT!

Bec August 1, 2012 at 10:31 am

The salad looks fabulous! So does the birthday cake :) hope the internship is going well :)

Antonia August 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm

It’s going very well. I get a ton of free food + chocolate from the company so I’m not starving anytime soon :)

Christina August 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

I love mushroom risotto! And the cake looks delicious :)

August is mainly preparing for our trip to America, my birthday at the end of the month and saving money!

Antonia August 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Wow, America sounds exciting. When are you going and where to? My sister’s flying to California in 2 weeks and I’m VERY jealous.

Alexia August 1, 2012 at 3:44 pm

mushrooom risotto is one of my favourites too! i make it with brown risotto rice because its a tad healthier and i looove the chewiness of the grains! lovely summary of your last week! you are a TRUE Austrian pastry fan it seems!? :))

Antonia August 1, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I sure am!!! :)

Anne@LoveMintChocolateChip August 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm

your eats looks amazing! WOW! your lunch looks heavenly. i LOVE blueberries and bananas with nut butter. best combination of food ever :)

Antonia August 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm

anything with nut butter is a winner in my book :)

Doris @ vanillacocoberry August 1, 2012 at 7:21 pm

true that!

Doris @ vanillacocoberry August 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm

wow I am so jealous you get to spend time at a lake house… bitch! (haha just kidding of course)
and I love the gmundner keramik mug <3
I feel ya when you're saying you've been eating way too many sweets lately… I have been SO bad. on top of that my workouts were very inconsistent to the point were I am really just not feeling comfortable in my body anymore. I want to be healthy again and shine from the inside out! medical school is stresssing me out so much and is robbing me of my soul I feel like. now during summer I have to spend my precious time in the lab and write my thesis, when really I should be stocking up my resources to survive another year without impending burnout syndrome! bohooooo .. enough of all that negativity, I am hitting the sack early tonight so I can go for a run tomorrow before the heat hinders me once again. happy wiaw my lovely lady!! xx

Antonia August 2, 2012 at 5:51 am

Thank you for your wonderful comment :) Put a big smile on my face!
I think I know how you feel. One of my best friends studies medicine in Graz and from what she told me it’s certainly not the easiest subject to study.
That’s what I do too….I go running before work because by the time I get home in the afternoon it’s just too hot!!! Hope your summer is going well, even with all the extra work!

Ffion August 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Birthday cake is the best! This is the second summer that I’m working full time, and even though I’ve had a part time job since I was 14, its still strange to me not having a bit of time off over August! Damn being a ‘grown up’ I do have some time off at the end of the month when I will be heading to Leeds festival, so I’m looking forward to that!

Antonia August 2, 2012 at 5:45 am

I now appreciate being a student a lot more…I’ve never been thankful enough for all the free time and flexibility at University. Being all grown up really isn’t as great as it seems!

Sarah August 2, 2012 at 2:02 am

I really want the cake recipe that your grandma made. Is it possible to share it? PLEASE?

Antonia August 2, 2012 at 5:42 am

Thanks for stopping by Sarah! Don’t think it should be a problem. I’ll ask her for the recipe and post it asap!

Jennifer August 2, 2012 at 3:45 am

Happy WIAW! Love the birthday cake! :-)

Shannon (Healthiful Balance) August 2, 2012 at 9:55 pm

All your eats look SO good! I’m glad you had a nice time with your mom. :) Sometimes a low key day at home is the best.

Kailey August 3, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I’ve never had risotto before, but I love how creamy it looks! Can’t fail with mushroom sthough ;)

Emilie @ Hungry Delights August 8, 2012 at 4:10 am

I adore risotto! It is so delicious. It sounds like you are having a great summer in spite of your internship :)