WIAW: life in munich

by Antonia on July 18, 2012

Happy WIAW from Munich. For those who are new around here or don’t stop by regularly, I started my internship on Monday so everything is still pretty new for me. I never knew how exhausting working could be. I spend the day in an office, basically sitting all day, but still by the time I leave work I feel like I could use a power nap and nearly fall asleep on the train home.

Since today is my third day at work I sort of know the drill by now, especially when it comes to lunch. I packed a lunch on Monday just in case the company didn’t have a canteen (which they do) and am testing the food there this week. If I like it enough I’ll eat lunch at the canteen and if after this week I feel like I’m better off bringing my own lunch, I’ll do just that!

As always, thank you Jenn for hosting this weekly foodie party.

Yesterday my alarm went off at 6:10am. I don’t have to be at work until 8:15 or 8:30 but I like having lots of time in the morning to get ready, eat breakfast, read blogs and emails and just start the day off slowly. For breakfast I had overnight oats which I consider the perfect breakfast for stressful mornings. But I also enjoy them when I have plenty of time for breakfast.

To my usual mix I added a small nectarine and goji berries for a more summery flavor! Topped with coconut and spelt puffs. T’was delicious!

The train ride to work is exactly 33 minutes + about 10 minutes of walking to the station and to work. Half an hour is the perfect amount of time to read. Currently I am reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed which I highly recommend.

Yesterday I had lunch at 12:00, which if you ask me is a tad early.  I had an unpictured  banana as my morning snack so I wasn’t really that hungry yet but since lunch in the canteen is only served until 1pm I’d rather go with my colleagues than all alone. As already mentioned the food in the canteen could be better but it could also be a lot worse. For lunch I had a small portion of Schupfnudeln (sort of like dumpling buts formed as noodles) with vegetables and a side salad.

Sorry for the iPhone picture. I tried taking a picture without people noticing. I really don’t want people to think that I’m a crazy person who takes pictures of canteen food which, hey, I am! :)

As an afternoon snack I had the last Nakd bar that I brought back from England. Enjoyed in the office.

I got home from work at about 6:15pm and was so tired. After a quick skype session with my mom I went for a short run to explore the neighborhood. I really forgot how therapeutic running can be. I was so exhausted after work but knew that I would feel 100 times better after spending some in the fresh air.

I live in the southern part of Munich and although it’s only 15 minutes from the center during my run I felt like I was on a quiet country-side trail. So peaceful and beautiful! This will probably become my regular route if I feel like doing a short run.

After my run and a quick shower it was time for dinner. I’m really lucky to have my own little kitchen so cooking is easier than ever before. I made pork tenderloin, zucchini-tomato “ratatouille” and spelt rice.

And that’s what a day in my life looks like right now. I haven’t had a chance to explore a lot of the city yet, but I’ll keep you updated with lots of pics and info as soon I get round to it.

HAPPY WIAW

Jennifer July 18, 2012 at 5:36 am

Happy WIAW! Your dinner is beautiful. I have not had pork tenderloin in forever. I think I will add it to my market list. :-)

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I usually don’t have pork tenderloin that often either but my mom bought some for me to take to Munich and it needed to be eaten. I have leftovers for the rest of the week probably ;)

Shelby (everydayvegangirl) July 18, 2012 at 6:53 am

I’ve done the same thing at work…try to take pictures with my phone and not have anyone see me! It’s a hard task to get done! I love to top (or mix in) my oatmeal puffed millet or kamut…really bulks it up without a lot of added calories

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Very true! And I love the added crunch :)

Doris @ vanillacocoberry July 18, 2012 at 9:10 am

hahaha ich schäm mich auch manchmal wenn ich fotos von essen machen muss und leute dabei sind, die nichts von meinem blog wissen ^^

das müsli schaut echt wieder mal sehr lecker aus, die dinkelpuffs und kokosraspeln lassen sich einfach toll fotografieren find ich :)

hab mir auch ausm UK ein paar müsliriegel mitgenommen, da gibts ja doch viele sorten dies bei uns ned gibt!! und ich probiiiiere soo gern neue dinge, v.a. wenns um health food geht! happy wiaw!

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Hey! Ich sehe du bist heil aus Schotland zurückgekommen :)
Daweil hab ich den Leuten vom Blog noch nichts gesagt, aber es kann schon sein, dass sie zum fragen anfangen wenn sie mich beim Fotografieren erwischen!
Welche Sorten/ Marken Müsliriegel hast du mitgenommen? Beim Whole Foods in London haben sie ein riesige Auswahl. Werde meine Schwester beauftragen mir ein paar mitzunehmen. Was ich noch probieren muss sind die weltberühmten Lärabars, aber die könnte man zur Not auch online bestellen.

Jenn July 18, 2012 at 9:21 am

I love ratatouille! Yours looks delicious :)

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Thank you! Although it really wasn’t proper ratatouille with only 2 ingredients and herbs ;)

Ulli July 18, 2012 at 11:29 am

Als ich damals in München war war ich genau dort laufen wo du warst (glaub ich ;-) schaut jedenfalls genauso aus!!)…wunderschön!!!! Und ja, arbeiten ist anstrengend, man glaubt das gar nicht gell, ging mir genauso…und mittlerweile mach ichs seit 10 Jahren, unglaublich, echt uuunglaublich, so alt fühl ich mich noch gar nicht ;-) Liebe Grüße!! (heute geht dein Gastpost online!!)

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Ah, super! Muss ich mir gleich anschauen…mein erster guest post :)
Der See heißt Hinterbrühler See und ist in der Nähe vom Tierpark. Ich hab innerlich lachen müssen als ich direkt beim See 2 Bierhütten gesehen habe. Die Münchner können ohne Bier anscheinend wirklich nicht leben…echt witzig!

Meghan@cleaneatsfastfeets July 18, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I love my morning time too! It’s worth it to get up early and start your day right. Glad to hear the move went successfully. Last night for dinner and as part of my WIAW post, I had some sautéed zucchini, squash, tomatoes and onions. Very similar to your ratatouille. Again!

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Could we be any more similar? How funny!!! I’m sure it was delicious. I haven’t had a chance yet to read blogs today but will head over to yours right away ;)

Alexia July 18, 2012 at 1:15 pm

oh antionia! i found u on ullis blog again and couldnt believe that i hadnt stopped by your blog in such a long time! hope u r doing well in munich, i love the city!
wish u a wonde rful time there and i promise i will stop by more often! a kiss from sunny vienna!

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Hi Alexia! Glad you’re back ;) I totally understand you being absent though. There’s so many great blogs out there that it’s impossible to visit them all. Especially now that I’m at work all day I’ll have to try to squeeze in lots of blog reading time in the mornings and afternoons/ nights!

Marisa@TheCollegeCuisiner July 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm

mmm…everything looks so good. I am very jealous of your muesli and nakd bars. Two things I miss like crazy from England. I need to have some shipped here!

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I think I’ll ask my sister to bring me some Nakd bars when she comes over for a visit. I have yet to find a similar bar being sold in Germany/ Austria, but to be honest I haven’t really had a chance to look!

Min @ savortherainbow July 18, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Congrats on your internship! How exciting!
If there was a scenic trail as beautiful as the one you captured, I will go for a run everyday! I’m very intrigued by your lunch. You had me at dumplings :).

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Thank you! I was just as impressed by the trail and honestly didn’t expect such a peaceful place in Munich. The best part was that they had 2 beer huts (how typical for Munich ;) )around the lake, with people sitting outside and chatting the afternoon away! Happy WIAW!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I always wake up earlier than I need to as well so that I can just enjoy some time to myself in the mornings (aka. blogging and eating haha). It’s a nice way to start off the day!

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Yes, blogging in the mornings definitely does require lots of extra time!!! I tend to read blogs, news, celebrity gossip, etc. + check email & facebook in the morning and feel stressed if I don’t have the time to do so.

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats July 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

How do you like the book so far?? I think it’s pretty good!

Antonia July 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I LOVE IT!!!!! I really like how detailed everything is described. I can really imagine her hiking the PCT and have a clear vision of everything. I sort of don’t want the story to end, but at the same time can’t wait to know how it ends!

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal July 18, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Beautiful breakfast — looks sooo yummy.

Antonia July 19, 2012 at 5:50 am

Tessa at Amazing Asset July 18, 2012 at 11:18 pm

First, I always wake up much earlier than I need to.. the the peace of the morning is my most favorite time of the day and when I start the day with peace.. well it’s a much better day :) Your run route is so beautiful indeed! So glad to hear you are enjoying your time there Antonia and thank you for sharing the experience in that city :)
Your food looks absolutely gorgeous as usual, your breakfast, mmm to say the very least!

Antonia July 19, 2012 at 5:49 am

Very true, Tessa. I find that no matter at what time I get up, I’m always a little tired for the first 5 minutes of the day but once those critical minutes are over I’m awake and (most of the time) fully of energy! No matter if it’s 6am or 8am.

Kelly @ My Love Affair with Running July 19, 2012 at 12:44 am

I love exploring a new neighbourhood on foot… good for the body, mind and spirit!
Looks like a beautiful, quaint country side, enjoy :)

Antonia July 19, 2012 at 5:46 am

That’s one of the things I’m looking forward to most. I can’t wait for the weekends where I can just leisurely stroll around town, farmer’s markets and along the Isar!

Sara @my less serious life July 19, 2012 at 1:23 am

pork tenderloin is such a great cut of meat i just never think about making. i’m always chicken or fish. i need to bring pork out more often!

Antonia July 19, 2012 at 5:44 am

I usually tend to buy salmon or turkey breast if I want meat but my mom bought the pork tenderloin for me. I really like the taste and how versatile, yet easy to prepare it is. Doesn’t require lots of seasoning and tastes great with sauces and filled.

Christina July 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

I hope everything is going well with work and the move! That’s so exciting that you’re experiencing so many different cities. Lovely food and photography as always, and glad you have some treats saved from the UK to enjoy!

Living, Learning, Eating July 19, 2012 at 10:43 pm

The area looks so pretty – I keep forgetting that you’re not in the US!

Antonia July 20, 2012 at 5:38 am

I bet a few people think I love somewhere in the US since that’s where most food bloggers are (sort of) but if I were I’d probably post about way too many trips to Whole Foods and eat only Larabars ;)…but I am planning on coming to the US for a vacation, maybe next year :)

Elle @The Way July 20, 2012 at 1:57 am

The spelt rice looks delicious and hearty. I will have to try it sometime! I love the pictures of Munich. Thanks for sharing!

Antonia July 20, 2012 at 5:35 am

glad you like them….many more to come :)