WIAW, Workouts

WIAW: The Gym Adventures of Toni and Mo!

July 11, 2012

Happy WIAW! This is my last Wednesday at home before I move to Munich so I intend to make the best of the last few days with my family. I actually wanted to post a workout today and even though I made it to the gym on Monday a great post-worthy workout just didn’t happen…more on that later!

Thanks as always to Jenn for hosting the weekly foodie party.

My Monday began like most others with a big bowl of oats. We had two very ripe bananas that were waiting to be consumed so I decided to make Bircher Muesli for my brother and myself. On the side I had a grapefruit.

This is a very simple recipe involving oats, yoghurt, nuts, orange and lemon juice, apple and bananas with fresh berries, flax seeds and a drizzle of honey.

Since this is a very filling breakfast (even more filling than overnight oats) and we had an early lunch planned I didn’t eat a morning snack. I spent most of the morning doing organizational things for Munich, trying to cross things off my to-do list and when lunch rolled around I made fish (plaice) served on a cauliflower and herb bed. I vaguely followed this recipe for the vegetables. I loved how the cauliflower really resembled rice after pulsing it in the food processor and it makes a light summer alternative to grains.

Lunch was followed by dessert: banana cake. This is one of my favorite cakes and I’m sad that I haven’t quite figured out how to make it. We buy it at our local grocery store where cakes are baked freshly every morning. We’ve tried re-creating it many times but it just always different than the original version. It consists of a layer of a simple sponge cake, followed by a thin layer of jam, topped with bananas, a layer of vanilla pudding (or something with a very similar consistency) and a simple chocolate ganache on top.

In the afternoon it was time for my workout. My brother, Mo, and I decided to go to the not-so-local gym. Instead of driving we were eco-friendly and cycled to the gym (I was glad that Mo carried our backpack, but that’s what younger brothers are for, right?!) I had a vague idea of where we were going but distances somehow seem a lot shorter when you take your car.

About an hour later we finally arrived at the gym. Luckily we both have road bikes otherwise it would have taken even longer! We did our respective workouts before slipping back into our cycling gear and heading back home, another hour or so. When we got home Mo said that we were gone for 3 hours, cycling slightly more than 2 hours and working out 40 minutes. Estimated distance traveled: about 45km. Needless to say, we were a bit tired when we got home and it’s also why I didn’t really manage to do  a proper workout that I could post.

After our workout we were really hungry but because we both totally underestimated how far away the gym was we forgot to pack a snack. Luckily Mo found a old cereal bar in his bag that we probably forgot to unpack after our hike last year….or the year before that. It was still edible and did a great job of refueling us.

When we got home I immediately began preparing dinner. I made  Mediterranean oven-vegetables baked with mozzarella and served with fresh bread.

A very simple yet satisfying dinner after a killer workout afternoon. I had seconds and thirds because I was staaarving!!!!!

Dessert was enjoyed while reading blogs, of course!

A very good night’s sleep followed! Summer sunsets are one of the most beautiful things to observe.

HAPPY WIAW! I hope you’re enjoying the summer wherever you are!

• Reply Sarah July 11, 2012 at 6:48 am

WOW – dinner looks delicious

• Reply Antonia July 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

thanks!

• Reply Doris @ vanillacocoberry July 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

okayyy.. I now have to go make everything you just posted!!
    a) I never tried the cauliflower pulsing before, Ive seen it so many times on all different blogs but never brought myself to finally make it myself! this will now change!
    b) that chocolate banana cake looks deadly… I WANT IT! i am so bad with cakes though, I can never have just a single piece. I have the worst self control.
    c) that oven roasted veggies look amazing. zucchini, tomatoes and mozarella, that’s it? how long do you throw them in the oven for?

happapapapy WIAW!

• Reply Antonia July 11, 2012 at 8:34 am

That’s the great thing about buying the cake at the grocery store. You can only eat what you bought. I could easily eat another 2 pieces though! I have absolutely no self control when it comes to banana cake!

The oven vegetables included eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and mozzarella. Cut the veggies as thin as possible. Be sure to sprinkle the eggplant with salt, let it rest on a kitchen towel for 30 minutes and then wipe off the excess water. Then just arrange the vegetable as neatly as possible. Add garlic, basil and thyme + salt and pepper to season and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for about 20-30 minutes.

How long will you be staying in Scotland?

• Reply Bec July 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

Oh wow, that dinner looks amazing. What veggies were in there? I would love to make something like that – it looks fabulous! 🙂

• Reply Antonia July 11, 2012 at 10:25 am

I used 1 eggplant, 1 zucchini, 5-6 tomatoes and 2 balls of mozzarella but that served 5 people. I commented on the instructions in the previous comment but it’s really not hard to make!

• Reply Meghan@cleaneatsfastfeets July 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Great minds think alike. You’re veggies look fantastic, as usual, and You really take the most beautiful pictures!! Good luck with the move.

• Reply Antonia July 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Thank you! Exactly, great minds think alike 😉

• Reply Clair July 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Sometimes I read your WIAW posts and decide that I need to start eating fancier meals. 😉 Looks divine, as always.

• Reply Antonia July 11, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Thank you Clair! I don’t really feel like I cook fancy meals though. I try to cook food that cooks itself, just like the vegetable bake. After prepping the vegetables there’s nothing else to do, besides eat 🙂

• Reply Tessa @ Amazing Asset July 11, 2012 at 1:02 pm

The veggie back and fresh bread looks phenomenal… a meal I would enjoy, but my mom? She would be over the moon with something like that! It just means I will have to recreate it for her, especially with delicious flavors like you enjoyed 🙂 And your breakfast… yum yum to say the least, and I agree, regular oats made with similar stuff is way more filling than over night ones!

• Reply Antonia July 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I love the Mediterranean cuisine because it’s full of great flavors! Ideally, I use fresh herbs which is great especially in the summer. I feel like there’s a huge difference in the taste of food between using dried and fresh herbs.

• Reply Jennifer July 11, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Happy WIAW! Wow, that banana cake looks great. Thanks for the link for the cauliflower recipe. I am going to have to try it. It all looks beautiful! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

• Reply Antonia July 11, 2012 at 3:47 pm

You’re welcome. Definitely try it, it was delicious 🙂

• Reply Kat @ a dash of fairydust July 11, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Oh,your banana cake looks so wonderful! And your breakfast is just lovely… I like how you always eat muesli,it’s so good and delicious! 🙂

• Reply Antonia July 12, 2012 at 7:28 am

That’s true. If I don’t have oats in the morning it doesn’t feel like I’ve had a proper breakfast!

• Reply Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits July 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Oh my gosh! All your food looks to die for!

• Reply Antonia July 12, 2012 at 7:28 am

• Reply Kailey July 11, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Love the heart in the middle of the banana cake. The roasted veggies look great 🙂

• Reply Antonia July 12, 2012 at 7:27 am

The heart is my younger brothers doing. He got bored while I was finishing up the dishes 😉

• Reply Anne@ LoveMintChocolateChip July 11, 2012 at 10:43 pm

WOW your eats look amazing! would you post how you did the recipe for dinner?

• Reply Antonia July 12, 2012 at 7:26 am

Thanks! Sure,I’ll either post the recipe tonight or tomorrow morning!

• Reply Jamie @ CollegeGirlCooking July 12, 2012 at 2:03 am

That cake looks absolutely drool-worthy! Someone needs to recreate it ASAP!

• Reply Antonia July 12, 2012 at 7:25 am

That’s what I think every time I have the cake but I have yet to come up with the exact replica…when I do, I’ll let you know!

• Reply Laura@keepinghealthygettingstylish July 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

That banana cake looks amazing and that sun set looks so pretty, I think I’ve almost forgotten what the sun looks like at the moment!

• Reply Christina July 13, 2012 at 11:50 am

Delicious food, as per usual! I love the look of your breakfast, that looks perfect – and the cauliflower and herb bed sounds brilliant!