WIAW: all sugared out!

June 27, 2012

Hi there! I don’t really have anything exciting to say this morning. Now that I’m home from Uni I spend most of the day at home, alone! My parents are at work, my brother is at school (school ends in less than 2 weeks though!) and all of my friends are at Uni and are super-busy with exams (good luck with exams in case you’re reading this). So really, I’m a bit bored. I try to relax but I got so bored on Monday that my mom gave my a list of house-hold chores that I could do which I gladly tackled. I also included one chore of my own – making macaroons 🙂

Although during exam stress there’s nothing I’d like more than a vacation I’m just not a person who likes doing nothing at all so I’m quite happy that I’ll start working in July which will keep me busy!

I hope your week is going well and that you’re enjoying the summer weather! A big thanks as always to Jenn for hosting the foodie party. I look forward to it every week 🙂

I went for a short run before breakfast and had 1/2 banana with almond butter after waking up. After my run I had a proper breakfast. I’ve been having lots of oatmeal lately and I thought it was about time for overnight oats. Especially with the weather being warm and sunny it felt right to start the day with something to cool my belly.

The overnight oats included goji berries, 1/2 banana, blueberries and flax seeds and were topped with more berries and granola. I also had one of the chocolate buns I made on Monday which I warmed up to melt the chocolate.

Perfect breakfast if you ask me!

I spent the rest of the morning outside working in the garden and needed a refreshment in form of fruit when I was done! Nectarine and blackberries sounded just right!

Even though it feels like I haven’t had the most productive day I actually managed to do something I’ve been wanting to do for a very long time. Ever since my sister and I went to France in March (where we taste tested pretty much every single macaroon flavor available) I’ve been wanting to make them at home. And with not much on my to-do list yesterday seemed like the perfect day. I had way too much of the sugar-egg white mixture while piping it out onto the parchment paper but I need to try the food I make before giving it to my family, right? … Not a good idea because I was all sugared out and all I wanted for lunch was vegetables.

Vegetables were consumed in a large salad which included cucumber, radishes, bell pepper and some sheep milk cheese crumbled on top. And although I had already consumed more than my fair share of macaroons before lunch I just couldn’t resist another bite (or three, oops) with my afternoon coffee!

Luckily my mom and I had some errands to run in the afternoon which took my mind of those delicious babies. We were out until dinner time and when we got back I was starving. Proof that sugar just isn’t filling.

For dinner we threw together a quick salad which I was very happy with. Nothing better than ending the day on a healthy note.

Have a HAPPY WIAW!!!!!

• Reply Kammie @ Sensual Appeal June 27, 2012 at 5:48 am

Gorgeous colorful pictures! Good that you listened to your body and had veggies! I sometimes feel sugared out too but I still (for god knows what reason) opt for the sweeter food… -__-

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 10:47 am

I do the same thing way too often! But yesterday I really couldn’t take anymore sugar.

• Reply Cinnamon @ eatpraytri June 27, 2012 at 6:20 am

I am obsessed with macaroons. I think about them all the time and I NEVER eat them. I don’t know where to get them. I could stare at your picture all day! 😉

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 10:51 am

Hi, thanks for stopping by! I know that a lot of smaller bakeries in Europe sell macaroons so if you have a good bakery/ patisserie near you I’d look there. But they aren’t that difficult to make. I’ll post the recipe soon, so if you’re interested just check back 😉

• Reply Elizabete June 27, 2012 at 6:21 am

Your food really is colorful – so nice 😉
    Mm, i like macaroons, maybe i even like their looks more than taste, your sure look great, what flavors did you make?

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thanks 🙂 These were all the same flavor (almond) though I used green and red food coloring to make them look different. The filling was different for each color: strawberry jam, vanilla and chocolate butter cream.

• Reply Bec June 27, 2012 at 6:34 am

Um wow. Not only do those chocolate buns look amazing, but so do those macaroons! I could have sworn they were bakery bought ones! It looks fantastic! Hope you are having a lovely week! 🙂

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 10:54 am

You’re too sweet Bec! I purposely didn’t zoom in one the ones that looked less professional 🙂

• Reply Tayla@She'll Be Free June 27, 2012 at 6:48 am

You’re food looks amazing like always! So many yummy fruits and veggies going on!!

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 10:55 am

Thank you! 🙂

• Reply Shelby (everydayvegangirl) June 27, 2012 at 7:30 am

All that fresh fruit…yum. I love goji berries too…they don’t get enough exposure if you ask me!

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 9:52 pm

That’s certainly true! My mom has them in her oatmeal every morning so I thought why not add them to overnight oats for extra nutrients…tasted great!

• Reply Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 27, 2012 at 10:31 am

A chocolate bun?! Umm that sounds pretty dang amazing Antonia! I hear what you are saying about feeling antsy and needing to do something… I was complaining about having no free time during school but then when I got, I really hated it! Glad to be working again 🙂
    Lovely eats as always, and great job on those macaroons!

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 10:56 am

I’m glad I’m not the only person around that doesn’t enjoy being lazy! Really can’t wait for work to start!

• Reply Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count June 27, 2012 at 11:58 am

Everything looks delicious!

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Jennifer June 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Happy WIAW! Chocolate bun yummy. And your macaroons are beautiful. I hope you share your recipe. 🙂

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Thanks! Of course I’ll share the recipe 😉

• Reply Lindsay @ Conscious Cravings June 27, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Your photos are so beautiful. Especially that bowl of overnight oats. I was pretty much staring at it forever. I want it in my belly too lol. Those macarons are so freaking cute. I definitely want the recipe for that, so I can attempt to make it. Hopefully they will come out as fantastic as yours lol

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Thanks Lindsay! I’ve had a couple of request for the macaroon recipe today so I’ll either post it tomorrow or Friday, so check back then! Just a heads-up: they aren’t difficult to make so I’m sure yours will turn out beautiful! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

• Reply Anne@LoveMintChocolateChip June 27, 2012 at 4:33 pm

OMG your salad looks amazing!!! 🙂 I wish I liked macaroons.. they are too cute!

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 6:24 pm

They are too cute and way too good!!!

• Reply Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness June 27, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Your overnight oats look awesome! I haven’t tried adding goji berries yet.

I am so not good at doing nothing. I don’t find it relaxing at all. My husband talks about our upcoming vacation to Florida and how much he is looking forward to “doing nothing”. That’s not a vacation!

Happy WIAW!

[Fitness, Health and Happiness]

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hahaha…totally understand you! For me doing nothing is less relaxing than having a busy holiday schedule 🙂

• Reply Marisa@TheCollegeCuisiner June 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Ooh those macaroons look amazing. I wish had some for my tea this afternoon. I will most likely settle for my stash of dark chocolate digestives. Love the fruit, so bright!

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Well, chocolate digestives aren’t that bad either 😉

• Reply Living, Learning, Eating June 27, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I want to go to France some day! Macaroons look too insubstantial to be something that I’d like (I’m a hot fudge brownie sundae kind of gal, or a hearty muffin/cookie/etc.). I’m not so into dainty frou-frou foods 😛 But your breakfast looks amazing!

• Reply Antonia June 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I pretty much enjoy all the desserts you mentioned and it’s true, macaroons aren’t very substantial. If I had to choose between an hot fudge brownie sundae (which sounds pretty good right now) and macaroons, I’d probably go for the sundae as well since macaroons aren’t filling at all which I learned yesterday 😉

• Reply Macarons aux Amandes June 29, 2012 at 5:30 am

[…] I still have to share a recipe with you all. I got a lot of positive feedback for my macaroons on Wednesday so I wanted to share the recipe as soon as possible so you’d have a chance to make them over […]