WIAW: cherries with everything

June 20, 2012

Is it me or are you tooΒ  craaazy about cherries right now? I’m literally having them with breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. See for yourself!

This is not a regular WIAW post since I couldn’t really cook any fancy meals the last couple of days. I have most of my things in storage already as I will be flying home on Sunday and all I’m left with are 1 plate, 2 bowls, 1 pot, 1 fork, 1 spoon, 2 knives and a chopping board. What I miss most though are not the kitchen utensils but my coffee machine.

In an attempt to decaffeinate my body this week I thought it would be good to not have a coffee machine around because I knew I just wouldn’t be able to resist the temptation. However, my plan totally backfired. I indulged in some coffee Sunday afternoon (I couldn’t even last 1 day without it) and have been taking advantage of the student discount at the University Starbucks.

Anyway, here are a couple of things I’ve been whipping up in a literally empty kitchen with hardly any cutlery around. Hope you’re inspired if you’re ever in the need of some simple yet tasty meals.

As always THANK YOU Jenn for hosting the weekly foodie extravaganza πŸ™‚

My days still start with oats, of course. I think I couldn’t survive without a proper breakfast and the fact that the berries and cherries are right in season make every breakfast especially, wonderfully delicious. Apart from fruit I top most of my breakfasts with cashew butter which is one of my new favorites. I also bought the Peanut Smudge chocolate spread at Hotel Chocolat over the weekend and I love how it melts right into the oats. And in case you’re wondering: yes, I know this spread bears absolutely no resemblance to actual nut butter. But it still tastes good πŸ™‚

My morning snack usually consists of fruit or a energy bar. 2 weeks ago during my trip to Whole Foods Christina and I saw that they had Bounce Balls on offer! I stocked up on a couple of different flavors after hearing just how incredible they are from Christina. I have to say they really are good. Perfect size for an on-the-go-snack and the flavors are great as well. I’m saving the best (Fudgie Walnut Brainstorm) for last. Although theΒ  Coconut & Macadamia Bliss wasn’t too bad either.

Lunch and dinners are usually salad or soup. But not just any kind of salad. Since I still have plenty of food in the fridge I try using as much food per meal as I possibly can. Which means I add cherries to everything!

Salad #1: roasted sweet-potato salad with crumbled goat cheese and avocado. I also included cucumber and tomatoes for extra nutrition. Some of the sweet potatoes were a bit on the toasty/ burned side but that’s what happens when you’re chatting away on Skype when you should actually be in the kitchen.

Salad #2: Orange-Avocado salad with olives and feta.

Salad #3: Mango-Cherry Salad. All salads are great for a light summer meal, but this has got to be my favorite creation so far. The colors just scream sunshine!!! Also topped with goat cheese πŸ™‚

My afternoon snacks vary. Sometimes I might be in the mood for something sweet, on other days all I want is a nutrient-dense snack that will power me through the afternoon. Examples inlcude:

Bread with dark chocolate spread and cherries πŸ™‚

Raw veggies with hummus

Greek yoghurt with fruit and dark chocolate chips . . .

. . . and last but certainly not least: cake! Chocolate gateau and strawberry mille-feuille.

Dinners will either be salads or soups. Simple and not much washing up needed (not that I have that much that could be washed up!).

So that’s it! Those were my latest eats.

What food have you been loving lately?

Cherries, cherries, cherries, cherries . . . πŸ™‚

• Reply Elizabete June 20, 2012 at 7:14 am

All of your pictures are so beautiful! I also Love cherries and berries ( who doesn’t ,duh )

• Reply Antonia June 20, 2012 at 5:09 pm

• Reply Michelle@PeachyPalate June 20, 2012 at 7:45 am

Cherries with everything, now that I’m feeling. I have been eating them by the punnet. They’re just incredible this time of year!

• Reply Antonia June 20, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Glad I’m not the only one πŸ™‚

• Reply Bec June 20, 2012 at 8:43 am

I love cherries too! Oh wow, is that mango with your yoghurt? I LOVE mango – that is my favourite fruit. And your salads – wow. So pretty!! Hope you are having a fantastic week! πŸ™‚

• Reply Antonia June 20, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Yup, that’s mango πŸ™‚ Also one of my favorites!!!

• Reply Living, Learning, Eating June 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Your eats look amazing, I’m pinning them like crazy! But how do you get the photos to turn out so well?? I realllllllly need to work on improving my food photography.

xx,
    LLE

• Reply Antonia June 20, 2012 at 5:04 pm

THANK YOU!!!! I’ve been getting a couple of photography-related questions lately so I’d be happy to do a photography post soon where I can share more on what I do, my camera, etc. But my tip for now would be to read about photography (blogs are a great source) and watch tutorial videos on youtube.

• Reply Jessica June 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I have pretty much been living off cherries and berries lately. I am putting them in everything from yogurt and oatmeal to salads! So good!

• Reply Antonia June 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one going a little overboard on my cherry/ berry consumption. But NOW is the time to enjoy them!

• Reply Life is Just a Bowl Of : Old Sweet Song June 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm

[…] Cherry Mango Salad from Health Inspirations […]

• Reply Kammie @ Sensual Appeal June 20, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I love how the first photos were SUPER red and then the next were SUPER green and then it was just a mix of the two. Great color combos. Delicious eats. Happy WIAW to you! πŸ™‚

• Reply Antonia June 20, 2012 at 5:00 pm

That was very unintentional but glad that you like it πŸ™‚

• Reply Christina June 20, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Gorgeous photography and food, as per usual!
    Really need to buy some cherries – have been enjoying plenty of strawberries and blueberries but nothing beats a punnet of cherries!

• Reply Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 20, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I really hope you don’t tire of me saying the sameeee thing every.single.time I write on your blog, but I just cannot help it… your pictures, your food, your SKILLS, so amazing Antonia! I was just at Whole Foods about an hour ago and they had cherries out for free sampling.. it’s safe to say I had more than one sample! πŸ˜‰

• Reply Antonia June 21, 2012 at 7:19 am

Thanks Tessa, I never get tired of sweet comments like that πŸ˜‰

• Reply Kailey June 21, 2012 at 12:45 am

you take some of the most beautiful pictures. ever.
    Love your bowl of oats – looks so refreshing with all the fruit πŸ™‚

• Reply Antonia June 21, 2012 at 7:15 am

• Reply MassachusEATS June 21, 2012 at 1:51 am

I’ve been totally rejoicing in the fact that cherries are back in season! I love those Rainier ones πŸ™‚

• Reply Sunnie@moderngirlnutrition June 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I love the mango cherry combination-perfect for summer! Gorgeous pics:)

• Reply Antonia June 21, 2012 at 5:51 pm