WIAW: sisters in the kitchen

June 13, 2012

Hello and Happy WIAW! Today I will be sharing Sunday’s eats with you all. I am back in England after two weeks at home and spent the weekend in London with my lovely sister Christina. We had another wonderful couple of days and I really didn’t want to come back to Uni because I just love London so much.

As always, thank you Jenn for hosting this weekly foodie event. I look forward to it every week!!!
Our day kicked off with a late breakfast. I’m not usually one to sleep in but on Sunday I actually managed to sleep until 9:30am which is a huge accomplishment for me. Christina and I shared breakfast-making duties. She made the green smoothie (which tasted great!) while I was in charge of the oatmeal.

I know I don’t have to tell my foodie friends but for the rest of you: don’t be discouraged by the green color or ingredients. The smoothie tasted amazing and left me energized for the day. We had green juice the day before at Whole Foods and wanted to make our own version which included spinach, spirulina, parsley, cilantro, orange, kiwi and apple.

I made this berry oatmeal by combining oats, soy milk, strawberries, blueberries and chia seeds. One of the things I enjoy when using blueberries in oatmeal is that they pop during the cooking process, creating a beautifully colored light-purple breakfast. Topped off hazelnut butter and cherries!

After a lazy breakfast and spending the rest of the morning in front of the TV, I made my way to the train station since I knew I still had to do some grocery shopping and settling in before my lectures start. Before I even made it home I walked straight to Pret a Manger where I bought a lunch salad. I was starving and with absolutely no food in the fridge this superfood salad was a lifesaver!

Dessert was even better. I had been carrying around this little pot of raw blueberry cheesecake with me for the last 24 hours. Although the tube and train ride affected the appearance slightly, the taste was incredible. I am not afraid of trying raw or vegan food and enjoy exploring new dishes, but this little pot was out-of-this-world-good! Better than expected!!! The layers included an almond crust, the cheesecake (I believe this was made with almond milk and cashews) and blueberry topping.

I spent the rest of the afternoon grocery shopping, unpacking, blogging and catching up on blogs before preparing a dinner salad. I wasn’t really in the mood for a big home-cooked dinner so salad it was. I was also able to start using up some of the ingredients in the pantry.

The salad was topped with feta cheese, olives and chickpeas + a little bit of cheddar cheese. Because no meal is complete without dessert I had a cup of Greek yogurt with coconut and chia seeds + cherries about an hour later. Chamomile tea on the side!

I hope you have lovely WIAW!!!!

• Reply Christina June 13, 2012 at 7:40 am

Everything looks so delicious, as always! I really want to try the cheesecake; individual cheesecakes used to be my favourite dessert when I was younger and this looks pretty similar!

• Reply Antonia June 13, 2012 at 8:15 am

Thanks Christina! I’ve seen the cheesecake being sold at Whole Foods and Planet Organic.

• Reply Michelle@PeachyPalate June 13, 2012 at 9:06 am

I want that blueberry cheese cake! And the berry oats look yum!

• Reply Antonia June 13, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Thanks Michelle! Looks like everyone wants a bite of the blueberry cheese cake ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Reply Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness June 13, 2012 at 9:19 am

Now I want cheesecake ๐Ÿ™‚ The salad for dinner looks so good.

[Fitness, Health and Happiness]

• Reply Antonia June 13, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Thanks for stopping by Jill. The salad was very good ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Tessa @ Amazing Asset June 13, 2012 at 10:44 am

That is so wonderful you spent time with your sister and enjoyed such great looking food together ๐Ÿ™‚ The cheesecake, oh lawd, perfection, especially because I am on a serious blueberry kick lately!

• Reply Antonia June 13, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I saw the blueberries in your post today ๐Ÿ˜‰ It was lovely spending some time with my sister…made me realize how much I’ll miss her when I’m at home!

• Reply Bec June 13, 2012 at 10:50 am

Oh wow – Greek yoghurt with coconut! I never thought of that – looks fabulous. Both of your salads looks wonderful! Also – seriously loving the cheesecake! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Antonia June 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Greek yogurt and coconut is so elegant together…I think it would make a beautiful cupcake or cake frosting combination. I’ll have to give it a try some day!

• Reply Mattie @ comfy & confident June 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Yum!! all that food looks so good. The oatmeal, the smoothie, the greek yogurt! Delicious! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Antonia June 13, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Mattie ๐Ÿ™‚ Loved your post today. I am a big fan of the TIU workouts and have only heard excellent things about the 5 and 7 day slim down! Hope the rest of the week goes well!!!

• Reply Alexia June 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm

oh my gosh u discovered that amazing bluberry cheesecake. when i lived in london i was addicted to it. it was the only dessert i was eating for weeks! (i am not a big fan of desserts but this one convinced me). now u reminded me of it and i am actually flying to london tonight and will have to get one of them this weekend! cant wait!!! i have also tried that salad from pret a manger and i have to say its the only one i like and that has some nice flavours! good choice on the eats ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Antonia June 14, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Thanks Alexia ๐Ÿ˜‰ For some reason your comment went straight into my spam folder! The blueberry cheesecake was divine. A great combination of flavors, I especially liked the almond crust. What I didn’t like: the price. That small pot was expensive, I paid almost 3 GBP so it really was a splurge.
      I also find that a couple of the sandwiches at Pret aren’t that great. I like most of the salads though, so I stick with those.
      Have a great trip to London!

• Reply Marta @ What Should I Eat For Breakfast Today? June 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I love all – London, hanging out with my sister and all the food you girls had together ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Antonia June 13, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Thanks Marta! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Reply Jessica June 13, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Your lunch salad looks awesome! So healthy and delicious!

• Reply Antonia June 13, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Thanks Jessica, it was delicious ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Reply Amy @ Inspired Amy June 15, 2012 at 3:38 am

Ahh every single thing you ate looked DELICIOUS! I’m such a sucker for raw vegan desserts and that blueberry cheesecake you looked beyond yummy. And I’m with ya on the no meal is complete without dessert idea ๐Ÿ˜‰