I’ve been promising you recipes for the last 2 weeks so here we go.
Asparagus Tart. How good does that sound? I thought I’d better share this recipe sooner than later since asparagus is in season now. It’s another one of those super simple recipes that I love so much where hardly anything can go wrong…unless you use the wrong dough. But more on that later!
I adapted this recipe from one of my favorite Austrian cooking magazines and made the tart for my family about 3 weeks ago. The base of the tart is short crust. You can buy one that’s already made or make your own if you have the time. We bought ours however by mistake bought the sweetened kind which gave the tart a delightfully sweet aftertaste. Stick with the unsweetened dough. I promise you, the result will be mouthwatering.
serves 4 (adapted from Gusto April 2012)
You will need:
- short crust for 1 tart
- 600g asparagus, rinsed and ends cut off (ideally 300g white and 300g green but you can only use one kind if you prefer)
- 200 ml milk
- 4 eggs
- 20g all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley
- 90g grated mozzarella
- 1 shake ground nutmeg
- salt + pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°C). Grease a pie tin with olive oil.
- Cut the rinsed asparagus into equal-length pieces (about 2-3cm). Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the milk, eggs, parsley, and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Roll out the short crust onto a clean surface (you may need a little flour so it doesn’t stick) and transfer it into the greased pie. Prick with a fork. Then spread out the cut asparagus pieces evenly. Add the milk-egg mixture and top it of with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake the tart for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and serve with a garden salad!
And since I’m in sharing-mode today I will share something else with you. One of my friends/ neighbors is releasing her new single tomorrow and I love the song and video. It will definitely be part of my gym playlist so I have a couple of techno tunes in between my usual Glee sing-along tracks. Send her some love and like her on facebook too!