WIAW: rushing to exam #1

April 25, 2012

Happy WIAW! I can’t believe it’s Wednesday already, time seems to fly the fastest when you least need it to go that fast. I’m excited to share with you another round of yesterday’s eats. And of course a huge thanks to Jenn for throwing the party šŸ™‚

As I already mentioned I had my first exam yesterday so excuse not only the blurry pictures but also the look of my breakfast. Even though I woke up at 6am I managed to lose track of the time and had to prepare and eat my breakfast in 10 minutes. I was in such a hurry that I even forgot to add chia seeds to my oats.

I was planning on making 2-minute oats but with only about 30 seconds to prepare breakfast that didn’t really happen. I threw together what I could find: oats, Greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, cinnamon and a banana and topped it off with blackberries, granola and 1 spoon of very crunchy PB. I have no idea why I didn’t think of preparing overnight oats the night before.

I had my exam in the morning and planned to go to the gym straight after. Even though I only stayed at the gym for a little over an hour by the time lunch was prepared it was almost 3pm. And because I forgot to pack a snack I was starving and made myself a protein-packed lunch: Bean-ful Rice-fry. It was sort of like stir-fry, just different.

Whenever I come back to England after spending a month at home I allow myself to order food online. I say allow because it really is something I only do 3 times a year as I tend to buy too much food. But I find having my food delivered the night I arrive so much more convenient than having to go to town and shlepping my bags back home. Also whenever I order food online there’s so much more to choose from so it gives me a chance to try out foods I wouldn’t find at my local grocery store.

This is one of those recipes that just came together without me knowing what I was making. I began by cooking 1/2 cup of brown basmati rice. While that was simmering away I prepared the other ingredients: 1 can cannellini beans, 1 can red kidney beans, 4-5 large leaves of spring greens (collard greens or kale would presumably also work), 6 cherry tomatoes and 3 gloves of garlic. When the rice was cooked I heated up coconut oil in a wok and added the chopped garlic to it. Then I added the beans and roughly chopped spring greens. After about 5 minutes I threw in the quartered cherry tomatoes and seasoned it with salt, pepper, fresh chilli and some sweet chilli sauce. Just before serving I added the rice to the vegetables and stirred it once more. I served the rice-fry with a dollop of Greek Yogurt since I may have gone a little overboard with the chilli for my taste buds and needed something to counteract the spiciness.

I was pretty full after lunch so instead of having coffee straight away I waited for an hour before having dessert. I found a pack of Manner-Schnitten (Austrian wafers) in my treat-drawer and decided to have those as a study-snack/ dessert. Not the healthiest brain food, I know!

Since I had a pretty big and late lunch I wasn’t really that hungry for dinner so IĀ  had a bowl of Greek yoghurt with muesli topped with strawberry jam and chia seeds instead of preparing a huge meal. On the side a not-pictured cup of tea!

HAPPY WIAW. Have a wonderful day šŸ™‚

• Reply KaraHadley April 25, 2012 at 7:28 am

Your pictures are so pretty. I love how you don’t use a bunch of props, but just focus on the pretty food.
    And g’luck with your studying.

• Reply Antonia April 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Thanks šŸ™‚

• Reply Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 25, 2012 at 9:11 am

I hope the exam turned out as well as your Bean-ful Rice-fry. šŸ™‚ Yum!

• Reply Antonia April 25, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Hope so too!

• Reply Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 25, 2012 at 10:36 am

i know I said this last week, but gosh, your pictures are just so beautiful šŸ™‚ The bean stir fry looks tasty, I love all of those flavors!
    I hope the exam went well!

• Reply Antonia April 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thanks Tessa. That’s so sweet!

• Reply Bec April 25, 2012 at 11:27 am

Oh my gosh – your dinner looks beautiful. And while I’m not the biggest fan of beans in general, your lunch sounds and looks absolutely amazing! Have a wonderful rest of your week! x

• Reply Antonia April 25, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks Bec. Too bad I can’t comment on your blog šŸ™ Hope you have a great rest of the week too!

• Reply Clair April 25, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I can’t believe you managed to snap a pic of your breakfast in all that rush! And I love the photo of the Manner-Schnitten and coffee(?). Looks so cozy and yummy.

We actually get most of our groceries delivered, as we eat way too much to carry all the time…I could probably do it if I lived alone, but my boyfriend eats an unbelievable amount of food. =)

• Reply Antonia April 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Well, it isn’t exactly the best pic on my blog and a little blurry but I needed one for my post! I usually go shopping once per week and have a hard time carrying my bags back home so ordering my food is such a luxury šŸ™‚

• Reply Healthiful Balance April 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Hope everything went well with your exams!
    Blurry pictures?? Your pictures look AH-MAZING as always!!!

• Reply Elina (Healthy and Sane) April 25, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Those pictures look gorgeous! I seriously want every single thing. A stir fry may just have to be dinner tonight! šŸ™‚

• Reply Jill @ Fitness, Health and Happiness April 26, 2012 at 8:30 am

Your breakfast sounds yummy!I’ve been on such a green monster smoothie for breakfast binge that I haven’t made oatmeal in forever. I think it’s time to add it back to the menu!

[Fitness, Health and Happiness]

• Reply Maria @ sinfully nutritious April 26, 2012 at 10:20 am

Everything looks so good. Your pictures are gorgeous.