Races

My First Quarter Marathon

April 22, 2012

Hello everyone. I have successfully completed my first race, a quarter marathon today.

I woke up bright and early at 6am this morning after only 6 hours of interrupted sleep. I’m sure that my excitement played a role in me not being able to sleep but I also had a million different thoughts running through my mind all night long. For some reason though I wasn’t too tired in the morning. After a bowl of overnight oats I made my way to the start line.

Unfortunately my dad couldn’t run the race this morning because something unexpectedly came up. Even though I was the one who convinced him to sign up I could tell that he was a bit disappointed that he couldn’t take part especially since we did a couple of training runs together.

I took the shuttle bus into town which dropped me off about 5 minutes away from the start line. Of course, I was there way too early which gave me an opportunity to secure myself a good spot in the crowd! The marathon I took part in today is one of the biggest races in Austria with over 15 000 participants. No comparison to the New York Marathon but a big deal for Austria!

As you can see the weather was not as great as it could have been, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it looks from the picture. It started raining at 4am this morning but luckily by 6am the sun almost came out. It did start raining for a couple of minutes right as the race started. But for most of the race the weather was actually pretty good…not too hot and not too cold or windy. It did make me jealous to see that the weather was beautiful for the London Marathon today.

The race itself was fun and I felt great for most of it. My mom and my best friend came out to cheer on me and it was motivating to see them along the way. I started to feel a little tired around km 9 so that’s when I really had to slow down a bit and rest before my “sprint” to the finish line.

(I’m the one in the blue shirt)

I finished in 1 hour and 3 minutes which is faster than I would have expected to run so I’m really happy about that! It’s not breaking any records but I only started properly running a couple of weeks ago and it’s always good to have room for improvement.

Overall it was a great day (although I am really tired right now) and I can’t wait for my next race which will probably be the Munich Marathon in October.

I’m flying back to London tomorrow so I’ll see you guys from the island! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• Reply Jane April 23, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Congratulations – you did great! I can’t believe how overcast it looks!! I never sleep good the night before a race either … but you still ran a great race. Congrats!

• Reply Antonia April 23, 2012 at 8:00 pm

• Reply Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition April 23, 2012 at 10:35 pm

What an accomplishment! You go girl <3

• Reply Antonia April 24, 2012 at 5:58 am

Thank you:) And thanks for visiting my blog! I love your blog btw!

• Reply Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 24, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Great job!!!! I actually love running in overcast weather for races since it seems to keep things cooler. Glad the rain didn’t get you. I hate races in the rain.

• Reply Antonia April 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Well I guess temperature-wise it was an advantage. Still, a little sunshine would have been nice.

• Reply Ulli April 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm

congrats on your run!!! i did exactly the same in linz two years ago and had a blast, so much fun!! have a great day!!

• Reply Antonia April 24, 2012 at 4:38 pm

It was great. I loved the energy and was amazed at how many people came out to cheer on the runners considering that weather wasn’t that great. Have a great day too!

• Reply Healthiful Balance April 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm

WOOHOOO! Congrats! I’m so proud of you! <3

• Reply Antonia April 24, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Awww….you’re so sweet. Thanks Shannon!

• Reply 21.097494 August 10, 2012 at 2:03 am

[…] Antonia on August 10, 2012 Ever since taking part in my first race back in April, I’ve been hooked on running. I would certainly not classify myself as a […]

• Reply 16 or 19km…it’s all the same! September 10, 2012 at 4:29 am

[…] do. But this just shows once again, where there’s a will there is a way. When I trained for the quarter marathon I usually ran about 6km and considered that a long run. Before the actual race I had never run […]

• Reply The Half-Marathon that didn’t happen October 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm

[…] would have run my first half-marathon. I knew that I would sign up for race right after I finished my quarter marathon in April since it was such a fun experience. When my sister, Christina also signed up for the race […]