With Valentine’s Day less than two weeks away and the blogosphere already filled with the most amazing heart-shaped, pink and red sugar frosted treats, I thought I’d jump on the “Valentine’s Day Recipe” bandwagon and share some of my ideas as well.
If you’ve been reading my blog in the past then you will know that my favorite meal of the day is breakfast so I thought I’d give you recipes for a healthy start to a day that as filled with a little bit too much chocolate (if there is such a thing!) anyways. I like to start every day off with a healthy breakfast and Valentine’s Day should be no exception.
So let’s get started!
The first recipe is for Granola Cups. I was inspired by this and thought that is would make a cute looking breakfast.
makes 5-6 cups
You will need:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. seeds (sunflower or pumpkin seeds)
- 170g rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- In a small pot on medium heat mix together the water, honey and sugar and wait until everything has dissolved to form a almost clear liquid. Keep stirring and set aside once done.
- In a bowl mix together the oats and seeds. Add the the honey-sugar mixture and stir well so all of the oats are covered.
- Then fill about 2 tbsp. of the oats into a muffin pan. I used a silicone muffin pan so there was no need to grease it, you may want to used cooking spray when using other kinds.
- Once the oats are in the pan, using a spoon press them against the sides and bottom of the pan forming cups.
- Bake for about 30 minutes (until the edges are golden brown), but be sure to check on them whilst baking. Let them cool and then gently remove the cups from the pan.
- Serve with Greek yoghurt and fruits of your choice!
The other breakfast inspiration I have to share with you makes a filling and mostly healthy breakfast: Strawberry-Coconut Chocolate Kissed Oatmeal. Delicious!
Strawberry-Coconut Chocolate Kissed Oatmeal
You will need:
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp. flax seeds
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1/2 banana (optional, but it will add creaminess to the oatmeal)
- 5 strawberries, cut into small pieces
- sweetener of your choice (I used agave syrup)
- 2 tbsp. desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp. dark chocolate chips (for antioxidants!)
- In a pot mix together the oats, water, milk, flax seeds, chia seeds and banana and heat on medium heat. Keep stirring until thickened.
- When your preferred consistency is almost reached add 1 tbsp. of dessicated coconut and sweetener. Then add about half of the strawberries. Mix well.
- Serve in your favorite Valentine’s Day bowl and top with the rest of the strawberries, coconut and the chocolate chips.
Feel free to add any links in the comment section of Valentine’s Day recipes from your blog or any other sites that you like. I’d love to try some of them!
Have a good start into the new month and may it be filled with lots of hearts, chocolate and love!