I don’t know why it’s taken me this long to create my own granola when it’s one of the easiest things to make! I bought a bag of granola at Le Pain Quotidien in October which was really good, but the bag is now empty which meant that I had to get creative and make my own granola. I threw in all the nuts and seeds I could find and as an extra touch at the end, added dark chocolate chunks…yummy!
Perfect with milk, yoghurt, on top of your oatmeal….
or simply as a snack…
Chunky Dark Chocolate Honey Granola
makes a lot!
You will need:
- 300g oats
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 1/3 flax seeds
- 1/4 sunflower seeds
- 1/4 pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts)
- 3 tsp. brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 water
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a pot, heat up the water, honey, sugar and vanilla extract. Stir and wait for the sugar to fully dissolve.
- In the meantime mix together all of the dry ingredients (except for the chocolate, coconut flakes and flax seeds) in a large bowl.
- Stir the sugar-honey mixture in with the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture onto the baking sheet and bake for 40-50min. Check on the granola occasionally while baking and stir to ensure even browning and crispiness.
- After the granola is done (or golden) let it cool completely.
- Transfer to an air-tight container and add in the chocolate, coconut flakes and flax seeds.