In Austria, baking a variety of Christmas cookies is a tradition that is passed on from generation to generation. Each year I cannot wait for my mum to start baking our favorite Christmas cookies because it officially marks the beginning of the holiday season. We usually bake somewhere between 7-10 different kinds of cookies (a little on the extreme side!), some with chocolate, some with jam and our family favorite Vanilla-Almond Crescents (“Vanillekipferl”). Additionally to the flavors my mum bakes, my grandparents also bring their cookies when they come for Christmas so you can imagine that there is lots to choose from. As good as the other cookies are, these Vanilla-Almond Crescents will always be my favorite and I highly recommend you trying the recipe very soon. I promise you won’t regret it!
Austrian Vanilla-Almond Crescents
You will need:
For the cookies:
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 210g unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 100 g ground almonds
- 70g confectioner’s sugar
For the sugar dust:
- 50g confectioner’s sugar
- 50g vanilla sugar
- Start by sifting together the flour, ground almonds and confectioner’s sugar. Mix well. Then add the chunks of butter and by using your hands form a dough (shortcrust).
- Once the dough is all clumped together form a big dough ball and wrap it into cling film. Let it chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once you are ready to bake the cookies preheat the oven to 180°C. Line baking trays with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the cling film and start forming the dough into small crescents. Try to shape them into even sized crescents so the baking time stays the same. Place the crescent onto the parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for about 8 minutes. They should not be brown but rather still be fairly light.
- Whilst the crescents are baking prepare the sugar dust by sifting together the confectioner’s sugar and vanilla sugar into a bowl.
- When the cookies are done baking and whilst still warm carefully roll them into the sugar mixture. (Be careful as the warm cookies tend to break easily!)
- Once cooled store them in an airtight container or eat them immediately!
Ideally you will want your cookies to look like this…
…but my stomach and I don’t discriminate so we eat them whatever their shape or size!
I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as I do!